Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast

Thread: My daily bushcraft

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    I know a guy who uses a snakeskin on his tarp, as well as the hammock. Looks like a really neat way of doing things. What's your "new" method?
    It's not a "new method' just new for me

It's the way the guy in the time lapse video on the DD website packs his tarp, as far as I can tell. Jury is still out as to what method I prefer.

When I had the tarp that's supplied with the hennessy I used to pack the tarp and hammock in the one set of snakeskins. REALLY FAST. But now I use the DD tarp which is MUCH bigger only the tarp fits in the snakeskins.

jus_young... Thats exactly the reason why I'm not sure about the snakeskins. Can be a bit of a struggle to get the tarp in (I have the smaller hennessy skins) the tarp when in the snakeskins is stiff, more awkward to fold neatly but I compress it further by wrapping the ridgeline tightly around it, but still a bit more bulky than my "new" method which seems to be the same as your method

When I get chance (and had more practice) I'll do a detailed video of the 2 methods side by side, because I think the video on DD's website is a bit vague. No offense meant to the guy that filmed it.

Cool. Looking forward to any videos
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Gale force winds right now, and we expect some 15mm of rain in the next few hours...indoor sunday.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Finished a cooking spatula on comission from SWMBO :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pinseheølga 003.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	4635
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Hung my first Hammock today, I bought a cheap TW one a few weeks ago, so it needed trying.

Used Webbing slings and amsteel loops with 'D' buckles.

Very comfortable :-)

Will be using it for real next weekend .My son and grandson will be joining me, spending 4 days in the woods.

I will make sure I have some photos to post, of 3 generations camping together !!

OG
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

Just spent a fantastic weekend on a Scout training session being taught on how to set up and run a camp.
    (sarcasm is most definately in abundance on that statement!!)

This must have been one of the biggest wastes of my time ever, and even ended up having 'heated discussions' over how things should be done including the safe use of our most commonly utilised bushcraft tools. I was informed that this training was a requirement in preperation for an assessment on a camp that I organise and run, which seems kind of stupid considering what I have already done in the past, but I think you can guess my reaction when I came across a document this evening that stated the training was not mandatory.

Still, got to spend another comfortable night in the hammock, and I slept so well
    Woke up as dawn was breaking, surrounded by woodland and the sound of the songbirds. It was just a shame that the training started a few hours later and spoilt it all.

Picket up a new, cheap 10£ hatchet today. Anyway it's got a hickory handle and I like the shape of the axe head. But the paint on it just gotta go, as well as the varnish they put on the handle.

So have done that. The paint strips easily off using CRC carburator cleaner. Just spray it on and wipe off with paper towels.
    Then I simply sanded off the varnish on the handle, and gave it a liberal coat of linseed oil. Will repeat that every day for a week, and then every time I use it until I have the effect I want.
    Will also force a patina on it with vinegar. I am making a boring YT video about, just because it's fun to make them. But I am home alone with the runt today, so he is demanding most of my attention.

Anyway I will patina my Samii knife at the same time.

Here is the hatchet as from factory.

Name:  16-3161_m.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  5.6 KB

It got a 09,kg head on it, and it's Swedish steel, if that is worth anything on such a cheap thing. There is no edge at all, so suspect it will need a file to get one on. I hope it will split better than my current hatchet. That one just burries itself into the wood....
    (Roald Amundsen)

Trapper
    Sunday - Got back from first full family camp together. Spur of the moment thing and the lad enjoyed it. Midges 2 - 3 Scenery/views and atmosphere. Will do full report (more really a pictorial) in another posting.
    Monday - Made some more charcloth using converted sweetie tin and using a poundland well, £1, kitchen utensils holder as a mini-brazier. Then had a go at making willow 'drawing' charcoal using the same method.
    Tuesday/Today - Had a go with using some of the Norfolk flint I got a few years back from near my Grandad's house (sadly he's no longer around) and the back of a file to try my first sparks - was okay - first time it has worked for me but need to be a bit more directional with it.

Sharpened a new axe, picked some raspberry leaves and made a tea, sharpened mmy mora 711 after the kids used it to whitle a rock
    (Roald Amundsen)

After a week of rain, sleet, snow, something i hope was winters last hurrah, june arrived with summer. Spent the day on the shoreside, did a spot of luckkless fishing, hiked around a little and visited some WWIi ruins...

(Roald Amundsen)