Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: My daily bushcraft

To windy to do much today, but managed to dodge a few widow makers in the forest to get a couple of horse shoe fungus going.
    Fired up the barbecue by the use of char cloth and steel striker on quartz again. I thibnk I have got that squared now :-)

Okay, spent the whole day out in the wind, so now she-that-must-be-obeyed have the waffles and hot chockolate ready for her boys :-)

Yummy time
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

i put a plated neck cord on my bennos and picked some ramsoms for some pate mmmm smells good cooking at the mo.

Made a leather leg pad so I could sit out in the sun today and work on a new Bowl .
    My son came home from a weekends camping with a beautiful set of Red stag antlers for me .
    I was so chuffed he did that. Will have to think of something to make with them now !!!

Cheers
    AL

Today I finally got round to making myself a strike-a-light (steel striker, for use with natural flint). Made from an off cut, from an old file. Annealed the file, cut a slice from it, heated it in the forge, put a little curl on it (to help when holding it, during use), and quenched in hypoid gear oil. No tempering with this, just hardened (approx 65 HRC). Tried it with some of the charcloth I made a while back, along with a piece of freshly knapped flint, and it works beautifully

A picture of the striker, next to some of the contents of one of my tinder pouches...

Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Nice.

Is that some charred amadou I spot there as well?
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Just returned from a walk in the hills and saw the sun set...we'll just have a few days of those left now and the midnight sun is here. It's allready been daylight 24/7 for a couple of weeks...
    (Roald Amundsen)

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Nice.

Is that some charred amadou I spot there as well?
    Almost (well, it's fungal anyway lol), it's King Alfred cake/Cramp Ball/Daldinia Concentrica

Tried packing my tarps a different way. As I set up my son's hammock and tarp as well as my own, i can now try one tarp the "new" way and one tarp in the snakeskins..... Will let you know what i think of the different methods when I've tried them a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by GwersyllaCnau View Post
    Tried packing my tarps a different way. As I set up my son's hammock and tarp as well as my own, i can now try one tarp the "new" way and one tarp in the snakeskins..... Will let you know what i think of the different methods when I've tried them a few times.
    I know a guy who uses a snakeskin on his tarp, as well as the hammock. Looks like a really neat way of doing things. What's your "new" method?

I tried the snakeskins on both the tarp and hammock. It just ended up as more to carry and made the hammock and tarp more awkward and bulky to pack due to the trapped air. Done away with them now and gone back to folding the tarp whilst hanging from the ridge line (nice, neat and less bulk) and the hammock is stuffed back into the bag being squeezed as it goes.