Page 111 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1161101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1170

Thread: My daily bushcraft

I've just assisted my father in collecting some rhubarb from his garden. I noticed the skin peeled very finely and was quite strong when twisted together. Has anyone heard of cord being made from rhubarb skin?
    Cheers
    M@
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I knew my granny going back to when I was a lad used Rhubarb made into a paste for cleaning cooking utensils & I know it's been used as a dye. Maybe worth drying it out same as you would Thistle stalks. Noob question.. I wonder if a Rhubarb stalk was fully dried out alike to dried Thistle stalks would it make good tinder? hmm.. *edited I found this link http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/home
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Ehecatl View Post
    I've just assisted my father in collecting some rhubarb from his garden. I noticed the skin peeled very finely and was quite strong when twisted together. Has anyone heard of cord being made from rhubarb skin?
    Cheers
    M@
    Last edited by David_JAFO; 22-05-2016 at 01:26 PM.

As kids we used to peel them. and stick the end in acup with sugar and eat them. My gran would boil them into Rhubarb soup, and make a dessert as well
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    DITTO or as we say a poke or cone of sugar & stick of rhubarb. Jam ginger & rhubarb, rhubarb & custard.. memories of the good old days.
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    As kids we used to peel them. and stick the end in acup with sugar and eat them. My gran would boil them into Rhubarb soup, and make a dessert as well

Rhubarb Crumble

There you go Fishy, give it a go
    Richard
    South Wales UK

Yesterday I washed, oiled and then baked my dutch oven. It's now ready for it's first trip out into the woods
    "If you were to ask me what I consider to be my finest achievement, I could answer the question without hesitation: teaching." ~ Raymond Blanc.

I can understand using rubarb as a cleaner on utensils. We use a derivative of rubarb for the cleaning of boreholes that are clogged with iron formation. It eats the iron away.

On the Rhubarb theme, here is another one.

Fruit leather.

Boil chopped up rhubarb with sugar added to taste. When soft, blend into a soup and let cool.

If using a dehydrator spread mixture onto lined trays about 5mm thick and dehydrate until it can be handled and cut into strips. If using an oven, pour on lined oven trays and dry overnight on ovens lowest setting with the door slightly open so that any steam is removed.

Lovely to eat as a snack or when out in the woods with a beer in the other hand.

that sounds awesome chubbs.. never had that before. ill have to try that when my rhubarb comes through.. cheers!

Well, Just got some planted in the kitchen garden that I got from my brother...don't thionk we'll do much with it beyond peeling it and eating with sugar.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum