Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Endicott Norwegian Strip av lerret. (or the Zeltbahn justification) ...

...J;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Metal mug View Post
    Ha ha...... I've been meaning to visit Endys since I joined the forum; but I've only just realised (seeing the picture of the shop above) that I've been there a couple of years ago.
    SPOON CARVING FIRST STEPS... www.spooncarvingfirststeps.com
    Spoon and Kuksa carving courses.
    Edge tool maintenance.

Good story...J
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    The norwegian word for the tent is "Knappetelt", taking its name for the "knappe" = buttons that hold two or more sheets together knappetelt = button tent. The name of the single sheets is "teltduk" = literally "tent sheet"

Strip av lerret sounds very much like a google translation into Norwegian from some other language...., I sure have never heard it :-)

I have slept so many hours under one of those but never as a singular piece. Remember one time when my squad wen't to ground in a scree (yes aI know, but we were young and immortal), and put up some of those to get out of the rain, to wake up in sunshine, with the entire Norwegian population of the common adder soaking up the rays everywhere around us. The man on stag was seriously scared of snakes and was litterally s****ing himself, and did not dare to give a warning to wake us up...lol

Anyway this was standard kit when I was in, with 3 tent pegs, to wooden tent poles, and 5 meters of cord (reffered to as a 5 meter cord), with the tent sheet rolled up around the bundle of stickes, pegs and rope, it all fitted in the left pocket of our Norwegian army rucksack. On some of these sheets you will find patterns for how to put them together into larger tents. We could sleep an entire 10 man squad in one of those. A typical excercise would be to get heli dropped in the mountains to ski back to base. But then we assembled the tent in the warmth of the base, as assembling that thing in -20 and a wind, is pure hell....but once the tent is up, and a cold pit dug by the entrance, and with the optimus 111 running, it gets quite comfortable, sepcially if you put some fresh and unsuspecting recruits around the edges to stop the wind from coming in under the sheets . We used a standard army sleeping mat, with a Reindeer pelt on top then the standard Norwegian army 3 piece sleeping bag. All heavy gear, but we had ski sleds, so no problem.

Not sure what the lads are using there days. I know they have the Jerven bag, and those can be set up in a similar configuration....
    SPOON CARVING FIRST STEPS... www.spooncarvingfirststeps.com
    Spoon and Kuksa carving courses.
    Edge tool maintenance.