Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: One man tent - Mil-Tec Recon

I'd steer clear of the highlander Jura to be honest. I've got one and it's pants frankly. You certainly can't get two adults in as the ad says, well not unless you're on very friendly terms with each other

It's now a play tent for the nippa!
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

If you are after a cheap, but reliable one man tent, you can't go wrong with the Gelert Solo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104549_2011_sollo_large.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	4374Name:  gelert_solo_2011_dim_lg.jpg
Views: 1850
Size:  10.6 KB
    http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/gele..._model__104549

It is light (ish) easy to pitch and put away and well suited to the hiking backpacker. I took mine to the RV and had no complaints.

It is small though, I'm 5'8" and a bit and I just fit in with a bit of space to spare beyond my head and feet.

If you are taller, or a shortie like me but want more room, there is also a 'two' man version, the Mongoose

Name:  prodzoomimg4241.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  5.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	gelert_mongoose_FP.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	4377
    http://www.campoholics.co.uk/backpac...erson-tent.php

It is almost twice as heavy, but you get a lot more space and a door flap on either side of the tent. You would not get two adults in one, unless they were very close friends, but you and your kit would fit in no problems.

I have had a go of one of these, they are good tents and a lot less claustrophobic than the solo, but the extra weight does make itself felt after a day on your back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kernowek Scouser; 22-04-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added a 't
    Ansum La

The Gelert solo is the one Im lookin at and what Ive read about it it seems just the job

Cheers
    AL

That tent is heavy for what it is, the Gelert Solo looks good but I've recently been looking at the Karrimor X lite 1. Pitches fly 1st weighs 1950g and only £45 in field and trek. I've not got any 1st hand experience of it though.

Name:  78320390_l.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  7.0 KBName:  78320390_l_a1.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  15.7 KB

http://www.fieldandtrek.com/karrimor...-1-tent-783203

I still love my Vango Tornado 200 even for solo backpacking. Plenty of room and an almost cavernous porch.Yes it's bloody heavy at 3.3kg but even with that in it my solo pack only weighs 11kg which I find easily manageable as I'm used to carrying my son's kit too and together that comes to 19kg.

I have no experience of that Karrimor tent either, but taken at face value it does looks a bit tasty. It has almost as much room as the Mongoose, double the hydrostatic head and about a kilo lighter.

So I did a little internet investigation and found this discussion/review thread:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/kar...te-tent.83960/

And, the only person with actual experience of the tent on the thread, was not a happy bunny.

Shame.

Caveat Emptor.
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by Kernowek Scouser View Post
    I have no experience of that Karrimor tent either, but taken at face value it does looks a bit tasty. It has almost as much room as the Mongoose, double the hydrostatic head and about a kilo lighter.

So I did a little internet investigation and found this discussion/review thread:

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/kar...te-tent.83960/

And, the only person with actual experience of the tent on the thread, was not a happy bunny.

Shame.

Caveat Emptor.
    Thanks for that. I hadn't found any reviews yet.

this is the post from the 'not happy bunny'

Zigzag,
    I registered just to reply to your post as my experience with the Karrimore X lite was so bad.
    I did my JOGLE in May/June having bought one of these and in fairness the price was good, they go up well and are roomy.
    Day two saw me in Fort Augustus and the heavens opened in a proper Scottish down pour, I woke up to find the rain just streaming into the tent, so bad I had to put my cycling jacket over my sleeping bag. I was doubly cheesed off as it was new and I had also waterproofed it again??
    The £60 was a false economy as I had to go into a hotel the next night to dry everything off and I bought a Northface Tadpole 23 for the rest of the trip.
    So my tip would be get the best tent you can afford even if that means Ebay as £60 could get you something nice.
    Karrimor tents are a joke when it comes to rain.

To be fair I have a pair of Karrimor KSB's which I bought in 1994 and apart from having to glue the sole which had started coming off about 6 months ago they still look relatively new and are used as a summer boot which is what they were marketed as. And I have a pair of Karrimor Glencoe boots which I bought about 18 months ago and I love them.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/...Bedrock-2/1008 i used to have one ...great tent ,not the lightest at 2.5 kgs but door and porche at each side .
    oh well try again

Not exactly a glowing review is it? In a subsequent post the fella says he was so hacked off he just threw the tent in the bin, rather than try to get his money back.

I'm thinking dud, which is a shame.
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by cuppa joe View Post
    http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/tents/p/...Bedrock-2/1008 i used to have one ...great tent ,not the lightest at 2.5 kgs but door and porche at each side .
    Did yours ever sag on to your feet while you were sleeping?

Mine did
    Ansum La

no it was fine but im shorter than you at 5 ft 6" .....i really like the look of the solo and have been thinking about getting one....
    oh well try again