Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recovering a Post

Nice one Martin! As a bit of a computer geek I thought I'd seen most of them, but that was new to me - and better than good.

To the Cornish Scouser I say: Zorry Buy! I'm 'fraid you'm proper knackered there.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    I did at one point see a "auto-save" feature in action which used to Save partially written replies to threads as you typed them, I've just done a little testing and haven't found it yet, but this is copied from another forum:

How Auto Save Works

According to the vBulletin community forum, the Auto-Save feature is a backup feature to save the text in your reply in case of a crash or other extraordinary circumstance and you are thrown out of your reply. As I understand it, the auto-save automatically backs up your work every 30 seconds. At that point, you should see an Auto-saved message flash in the right-hand corner of your reply pane. If after the initial 30 second backup you are inadvertently thrown out of your reply, you can go back to the thread, click Reply to Thread and you should see a "Restore Auto-Saved content" message in the lower left-hand corner of either the Quick Reply Pane or the Advanced Pane. Click on that message and your text is restored.

I tested by just closing out the WPU page, went back and successfully restored my text.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Yeah - I just saw it then infact, when you're typing a message of some length it appears that a yellow message does momentarily popup in the bottom right corner of the box to say it's auto-saved your message, apparently this happens every 30 seconds which seems like a good frequency to me., it might be worth learning how you restore these.
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

You're right Ash. The messages are auto-saved on this and other fora - yellow message appearing during typing. The problem is getting them back.

I've moved away from my half-finished post to check that I've answered all points raised by the OP only to find that my supposed auto-saved meanderings are lost - or at least I can't find or restore them.

I suspect there's a right way to leave a half-finished post without loosing it, or, more likely, a right and wrong way to get it back. I just haven't worked out the formula - yet.

Natural Born Bushcrafter MikeWilkinson's Avatar
    Quick test of auto save recovery.... waiting for auto save... Right clicked back and lost post... clicked back on post, switched to advanced, restore button appears at bottom of post.. ... Next test logging off and logging back on... In advanced restore button worked.

Last test close down web browser... logged back in went to this thread, restore button below quick reply box.

Works great for me.

Mike
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

One final test, leaving this page and typing in a new post somewhere else, before returning... waiting for save... .... Wow works even though I have started typing somewhere else. I'll see if that lets me restore too.

Yup, can restore that thread too!
    Last edited by MikeWilkinson; 24-05-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Returned after restore on other post.
    [SIZE=4][COLOR=#8b4513]Wake me up when things are over, and I'm Wiser and older.

Thanks Mike. Follow your rules and it works a treat.

Wow - That's great news Mike, thanks for testing that

... just incase folks don't already know; you can be half-way through writing a post and click the "Go Advanced" button in the lower right corner, it copies across everything you've written to that point.

So the trick is with restoring then to be in the advanced editor!
    Ashley Cawley

Leave No Trace

It appears to work in the quick reply box too, as long as you see the auto save flash up in the bottom right corner... ....See, just did it then.