Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Leatherman Quality

I sent my Juice back to get fixed and they sent me a new one.

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by JEEP View Post
    http://www.leatherman.com/products/story?id=2919&c=70

I decided to shorten my tale about the Wave and send it to Leatherman. They decided to add it to their Tool Tales sections.

I really need to get my hands on a Wave again
    Nice one.. Its a good story :0)

Thanks

Just bought myself my third Wave; a 25th Anniversary Edition

Thinking about it, I actually have one major gripe about Leatherman: Their sheaths are presently generally awfull!

Remember the sturdy brown leather sheath - or the hard-case style nylon sheath - both for the old model Wave? Why don't they make these for all of their models? Even the classic standard black leather sheaths are lacking in quality nowadays; the leather is brittle as well as too thin and the workmanship is nothing like it used to be - and don't get me started on the so called "premium" leather sheaths and the standard Wave leather sheath, which seems to be even lower quality than the classic standard ones; brittle warnished leather and nylon/elastic spacers, stitched together in an almost random manner.

The nylon sheaths does not fare much better; though the premium ones are not too bad really. My biggest dissapoint with Leatherman, was when I bought one of their "military grade" molle sheaths; apparently "military grade" means thinner nylon, no eva padding and faulty assambly.

Imho. the best sheaths, made by Leatherman today, are the leather sheath for the Juice (which I am actually quite satisfied with) and the premium leather and nylon sheaths - though the premium leather and nylon sheaths do share a common fault with most of the other Leatherman sheaths available; they ride way too low on your belt, causing them to bounce against your hip when moving - unless you are wearing a 5 cm wide belt that is.

The worst thing is; Leatherman used to include really nice high quality sheaths with their tools - it is not like they do not know how to make them. Now, if you want a decent sheath for your Leatherman tool, you must pay extra for it. That is, as they say in America; not cool!

I just ordered a Nite Ize Tool Holster Stretch for my new Wave; http://www.niteize.com/collections/t...olster-stretch - it is the closest I can find to the old hard-case style nylon sheath, which came with my second Wave.
    Last edited by JEEP; 03-05-2012 at 10:22 PM.

The sheath for mine was left in a drawer in the appartment I had while I worked in Sri Lanka...so thanks for the tip, Jeep. Will order one of those if and when I get a replacement for my supertool :-)
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Guess I got one of the good generation of leather Leatherman Wave sheaths, mine is still going strong.

But like I said on the previous page, loks like I may have to start selling Kydex Wave sheaths......

That would be pretty cool!

This is the neck sheath I made last year to carry my Wave on work flights, but I hate the ball chain, is coarse on my neck with the weight of the tool. Did run it through some gutted paracord to pad it, works ok but would rather a full cord. Still, I need it to break away easy just in case.

Last edited by CanadianMike; 04-05-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture! Lol

Nice one! Just needs a belt loop or clip