Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lessons learned: What not to do

Lessons learned: What not to do

Last year I stuck one of my fire steels in a tackle box I use for boat fishing in case I had to ditch on some islet and needed to make a signal fire (sounds very dramatic). Anyway, some salt water hit the fire steel, probably just a few drops clinging to a fishing hook or lure that I put back in the box, and this is how I found it a few weeks later:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2459.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	4161

I guess this year I will use a separate, water proof container for that one :-)
    Lessons learned
    Last edited by FishyFolk; 12-04-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Oh wow! Didn't know that! Thanks for sharing! Maybe there is a new kind of bacteria that cause Firesteel cavities!

Quote Originally Posted by Primerib View Post
    Oh wow! Didn't know that! Thanks for sharing! Maybe there is a new kind of bacteria that cause Firesteel cavities!
    Yes, but what about your mistakes!

Come on, share your bloopers for others to learn from
    Victory awaits the one, that has everything in order - luck we call it
    Defeat is an absolute consequense for the one that have neglected to do the necessary preparations - bad luck we call it
    (Roald Amundsen)

Bumbling Bushcraft on Youtube
    Nordisk Bushcraft - The Nordic bushcraft blog and forum

Uuuhm...oh yeah I had something good! While fishing I a had a nice pike on the line round 70 cm (something around the size of the one on my picture) and it took a while as it was putting up quite a fight! Meanwhile a small crowd had already formed behind me watching me (it was sunday and popular lake for retired people to go for a walk). As i finally had the pike within reach and bent down to grab it with a finger between the gills my mobilephone dropped out of my shirtpocket into the water and in the same friggin moment the hook lost it's grasp and the pike took of leaving me with a broken phone, pissed of because of the lost a good fish and a highly amused crowed behind me.

So in one instant i learnt several things the hard way.

- Don't put your phone in your front pocket of your shirt ...just don't
    - don't go fishing were a lot of people are watching
    - don't go fishing without a net

Last edited by Primerib; 12-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.

I learnt to focus and calm on demand after failing to reverse dock the lifeboat onto a trailer six times in a row with a huge crowd taking photos and videos.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post
    Last year I stuck one of my fire steels in a tackle box I use for boat fishing in case I had to ditch on some islet and needed to make a signal fire (sounds very dramatic). Anyway, some salt water hit the fire steel, probably just a few drops clinging to a fishing hook or lure that I put back in the box, and this is how I found it a few weeks later:

Lessons learned
    I guess you could always coat the firesteel in candle wax before you put it in your tackle box?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I learned not to lend sharp tools to people who dont understand the need for sharp tools. 5 minutes of use and my nice razor sharp mora came back feeling like it had been hammered into concrete. At least it wasnt one of my customs i guess!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiTheIronHound View Post
    I learned not to lend sharp tools to people who dont understand the need for sharp tools. 5 minutes of use and my nice razor sharp mora came back feeling like it had been hammered into concrete. At least it wasnt one of my customs i guess!
    Woooord! So many people need to learn how to cut properly! Also do not give knives to people who have the opinion that they know how to sharpen knives. Last time a showed a brand new Solingen Löwenmesser to my uncle in law and talked about sharpening. Unforunately his wife heard that, snatched knife and pulled out her roundsteel kitchensharpener. "Oh, I'll show you how to sharpen a knife! 'ere you go, son!"The blade came back more or less blunt and the sides of the blade totally scratched up. Before her battering with the steel the blade shaved... It was hard not show the inner pain I was in. Something i have also often encountered is that unknowing people who use the roundsteelrodsharpening thingies ...what's them called in english (?)...tend to think that the faster they do it the more pro it will look and the sharper the result. They definetly watch to much jamie oliver sharpening knives "chef-style".

I learnt that going into hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, kid.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I had worse done to my first firesteel about 4 years ago, had used it a dozen or so times, and left it in the outer pocket of my EDC backpack, and because it was EDC it'd get rained on, bashed around on buses, etc. So after about 6 months or so I went to grab something out of that pocket, only to find a massively pitted firesteel! So, lesson learned, since then after I use my steel, when I get a chance before storage, I'll coat the rod with clear nail polish to keep it waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyFolk View Post

Lessons learned