Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild Camping Alone

But and it's a big but, DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS Lol..................TONY. Good luck,and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1948 View Post
    But and it's a big but, DONT GET EATEN BY THE BEARS Lol..................TONY. Good luck,and have fun.
    At least you guys don't have that problem over there. Every place we camp over here has no cell phone service and bears.

Hope you get out there and do some epic wild-camping, Man of Malpais.

I've only had one nasty experience and that was a Wolverine bumping into the side of the tent.
    But I don't think there are many Wolverines in Eire so go out and enjoy yourself
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Ha Ha. Unlikely to happen unless I go camping in the zoo! I could fall fowl of an angry badger though.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Malpais View Post
    I was watching the national news on our state run television staion here in Ireland this evening and they did a lttile item on a man who is due to become Ireland's latest centenarian tommorow. He's an amazing man. He could pass for a fit 75. He still drives and brings his dog for walks. They showed him striding to his car (not hobbling). The best bit is that he gave up smoking when he was 75 and drinking when he was 80! In Ireland you get a cheque for a grand from the state if you make it to 100. He's spending his on a big party.
    Wow! Great for him! Gave me a good smile first thing this morning. Thanks.

The old lady I met was quite the character, she was camping near to where I had my hammock set up and came over to visit while I was cooking dinner. I really enjoyed when we both sat with our backs up against a couple of trees and I mostly just listened to her speaking of her experiences in the mountains of New York, Vermont and New Hampshire. She really was remarkable, and still quite active.

As far as being prepared for getting out by yourself, you've got to ride a fine line between common sense and paranoia. You don't want to carry too much kit, but you want to make sure that you'll be prepared for nearly any scenario with the kit you're planning on carrying. It's never so much what you have in your pack, but what you've done and learned before hand that prepares you for the hike as well. Push your limits, but have a plan.

Marvell's article is great. Good example in there of a simple "flight plan." If I'm going on a multi-day hike of many miles, I leave a copy of the map with my wife with the route hilited, the Emergency Dispatch number for the Department of Environmental Conservation (The DEC), and the name and phone number of the Forest Ranger who is in charge of the part of the Adirondack park where I'll be hiking. I tell her, if you don't hear from me by "X" time on "X" day. Call this number and give them the details. I've spoken with the head of the DEC here in New York who says that for the way that their SAR is set up, my method of notification is nearly ideal; short of using a PLB.

Have fun out there!

Josh

Easy solution to that one bring a partner that is slower at running than you are LMAO

Meh I never was worried bout the outdoors or scared as some might put it. Not worried bout the 2 legged nuts either I got axes and knives with me when I go out LOL

Go out and have a good time
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

Tribal Elder
    You'll be fine...they seem to portray the outdoors as some sort of hostile environment where if you get a sniffle you'll drop dead...

1) yep. Nearly had to spend the night in the woods, I was dizzy and nauseus and nearly couldn't make it to the bus (which was several miles away). I'd be fine though as I was prepared with extra food and emergency camp gear... Also it was summer, so a night out would have been pretty tame anyway.

2) You're highly unlikely to meet any "hardcases" in the woods. Strangely enough the lack of warm beds, heated pubs and transport keeps them away.

Get out and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Malpais View Post
    2) STRANGER DANGER: What happens if I'm discovered by one or more people (psychos/hooligans) who wish to do me harm (possibly at night and no phone signal etc)
    These folk you mention believe it or not are more scared of going in the woods at night that we would ever be. They are urban idiots as a general rule, the woods at night is the safest place anyone could be in this country. Yes, i'd say safer than your own home. Unless of course your daft enough to camp under a beech tree in a gale