Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft popularity?

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar

Bushcraft popularity?

Do you think Bushcraft as we know it is becoming more popular, less popular or on a plateau? I've seen less people at gatherings and less people joining and posting on forums but I'd like to see if I'm simply reading that wrong, what's your take on the popularity of Bushcraft at the mo?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    This is a very interesting question and one to which I don't have an answer or even an opinion if I'm honest. I'll be very interested to see what others think about it though.

Our group meets are getting fewer and fewer and, because of other commitments, my time for 'bushcraft' things is quite limited at this time of year. I'm really looking forward to the Cornwall RV though, and catching up with friends old and new.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Same as Martin really,

Guess some of us get out and do it, some just like to watch it on the box and the back garden bushcrafter.

The less people attending meets/shows could be due to the commercial side of them becoming more important than skill sharing ?? To me the wilderness gathering is a prime example (pulling people out of talks because they had the wrong wrist band on !!) but that's just my view

Also looking forward to the RV

Basha

I think you may have opened up a massive can of worms.

I believe there is a bit of a lull in bushcraft at the moment.
    Maybe due to the lack of television shows and events and how they are advertised and sold.

Its a shame in my opinion. I have just started to get really involved in bushcraft and encourage anyone who has a slight interest to try more.
    People can find out so much about themselves and whats around them. But I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here.......

Kris

http://youtu.be/Uf3YxIJfC0c

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    When I say other commitments, those who know me will know that my other commitments get me deep into the outdoors but just no time to sit and develop bushcraft skills. I am to be found, every other weekend, out on the moors training this year's ATC Ten Tors teams.

Oh, and that isn't the first time that the Wilderness Gathering has been cited on here for its poor treatment of people who attend. Come to the Cornwall RV at Easter each year for £10 per night or to one of the very infrequent NaturalBushcraft meets which used to cost about £3 per night from memory to see what it's really all about. I despair at the 'must make a profit' culture that has grown in Bushcraft over the last few years.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I don't think forum activity can measure bushcrafts popularity. Especially when you consider that the internet is what bushcraft ISN'T all about. I would expect there to be more shrafters who dont use forums than those who do .

Gatherings can be expensive or a great distance away, and i suspect many folk enjoy bushcraft as a private thing. So the greater number of folk at gatherings and the like could be the problem for them.

Who knows?

Forums can get very repetitive once you have been a member for a few years, this also puts folk off them.

I don't think there is anything to worry about too much

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Oh, and that isn't the first time that the Wilderness Gathering has been cited on here for its poor treatment of people who attend. Come to the Cornwall RV at Easter each year for £10 per night or to one of the very infrequent NaturalBushcraft meets which used to cost about £3 per night from memory to see what it's really all about. I despair at the 'must make a profit' culture that has grown in Bushcraft over the last few years.

Martin
    What poor treatment is that then? Anybody who knows us and mentions any problems to us regarding The Gathering knows that we are open to suggestions and feed back to improve the event for all concerned. People only have to talk to us rather than post dubious stuff on forums.

As far as previous comments in this thread are concerned, wristbands are issued and checked as a means of identifying those who have entered via the front gate legitimately and those who have jumped the fence. That is to make it fair to those who have paid to enter and therefore contributed to all the infastructure on site that everybody uses.

Martin, I assume you don't want to make a living or feed your family with the money you earn from your career. That is all we do.

Roger
    www.wildernessgathering.co.uk
    Last edited by Roger; 02-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.

I think Hillbill got it about right.
    Personally I've never been to meets. They just don't appeal to me. I have a couple of friends who I've gone camping/live-roleplaying/battle re-enacting with for many many MANY years. Whether it's the three of us out for the night, just the two, or just alone, that's how I like to enjoy it.
    As Hillbill said, the forums get a bit repetitive and it's hard to maintain a constant presence on them - you can read 'what hammock/bivvy/sleeping bag' etc threads only so many times.
    I really have no idea how popular bushcraft is. Or ever was. And I don't think I really care.
    We used to call it camping, or camping in the woods. Now we call it bushcraft. When that term dies we'll call it something else. Makes no difference to me.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

I class myself as a newbie still, having attended one Dartmoor 4 day meet, one group meet weekend in Wales and only 8 solo nights out so far, but I would guess that finances have a big part to play at the moment.
    With me it's more a problem of childcare as the wife works away a lot but there are one or two meets I'd like to make that are just too expensive. Not just the costs of the meet (which I'm sure offers great value) but the cost of fuel getting there.

One of the big pluses for me is that I can throw a pack in the car and head off somewhere local(ish) and spend a few days out at no cost.
    There was a significant cost in setting up (and I'm no kit monkey) but now I have it it's time to make it pay!

I've recently been made redundant and I was wise enough to get the kit before the job ended so the wife didn't moan when I was spending but not earning.
    Last edited by Richie; 02-04-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: update