Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bushcraft popularity?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar

Bushcraft popularity?

Do you think Bushcraft as we know it is becoming more popular, less popular or on a plateau? I've seen less people at gatherings and less people joining and posting on forums but I'd like to see if I'm simply reading that wrong, what's your take on the popularity of Bushcraft at the mo?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    This is a very interesting question and one to which I don't have an answer or even an opinion if I'm honest. I'll be very interested to see what others think about it though.

Our group meets are getting fewer and fewer and, because of other commitments, my time for 'bushcraft' things is quite limited at this time of year. I'm really looking forward to the Cornwall RV though, and catching up with friends old and new.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Same as Martin really,

Guess some of us get out and do it, some just like to watch it on the box and the back garden bushcrafter.

The less people attending meets/shows could be due to the commercial side of them becoming more important than skill sharing ?? To me the wilderness gathering is a prime example (pulling people out of talks because they had the wrong wrist band on !!) but that's just my view

Also looking forward to the RV

Basha

I think you may have opened up a massive can of worms.

I believe there is a bit of a lull in bushcraft at the moment.
    Maybe due to the lack of television shows and events and how they are advertised and sold.

Its a shame in my opinion. I have just started to get really involved in bushcraft and encourage anyone who has a slight interest to try more.
    People can find out so much about themselves and whats around them. But I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the choir here.......

Kris

http://youtu.be/Uf3YxIJfC0c

When I say other commitments, those who know me will know that my other commitments get me deep into the outdoors but just no time to sit and develop bushcraft skills. I am to be found, every other weekend, out on the moors training this year's ATC Ten Tors teams.

Oh, and that isn't the first time that the Wilderness Gathering has been cited on here for its poor treatment of people who attend. Come to the Cornwall RV at Easter each year for £10 per night or to one of the very infrequent NaturalBushcraft meets which used to cost about £3 per night from memory to see what it's really all about. I despair at the 'must make a profit' culture that has grown in Bushcraft over the last few years.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Oh, and that isn't the first time that the Wilderness Gathering has been cited on here for its poor treatment of people who attend. Come to the Cornwall RV at Easter each year for £10 per night or to one of the very infrequent NaturalBushcraft meets which used to cost about £3 per night from memory to see what it's really all about. I despair at the 'must make a profit' culture that has grown in Bushcraft over the last few years.

Martin
    What poor treatment is that then? Anybody who knows us and mentions any problems to us regarding The Gathering knows that we are open to suggestions and feed back to improve the event for all concerned. People only have to talk to us rather than post dubious stuff on forums.

As far as previous comments in this thread are concerned, wristbands are issued and checked as a means of identifying those who have entered via the front gate legitimately and those who have jumped the fence. That is to make it fair to those who have paid to enter and therefore contributed to all the infastructure on site that everybody uses.

Martin, I assume you don't want to make a living or feed your family with the money you earn from your career. That is all we do.

Roger
    www.wildernessgathering.co.uk
    Last edited by Roger; 02-04-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    What poor treatment is that then? Anybody who knows us and mentions any problems to us regarding The Gathering knows that we are open to suggestions and feed back to improve the event for all concerned. People only have to talk to us rather than post dubious stuff on forums.

As far as previous comments in this thread are concerned, wristbands are issued and checked as a means of identifying those who have entered via the front gate legitimately and those who have jumped the fence. That is to make it fair to those who have paid to enter and therefore contributed to all the infastructure on site that everybody uses.

Martin, I assume you don't want to make a living or feed your family with the money you earn from your career. That is all we do.

Roger
    Roger. I can't find the post which catalogued the problems encountered but the member concerned did talk to someone and was given fairly short shrift. It was about access issues as he suffers from a severe bad back.

I'm sure we won't agree on this matter, but it is the belief and philosophy of NaturalBushcraft that ancient skills should be shared freely as they were for generations. No one charged for passing on their knowledge although, of course, the blacksmith charged for his skills, as did the baker, the fletcher, the cooper, the wheelwright etc etc etc. I have no problem with making a profit for tangible things and services rendered, but I'm very glad that NaturalBushcraft is free and that people value it highly enough to make purely voluntary donations which go some way to paying for the costs of running the website and forum.

The NaturalBushcraft meets charged exactly what the land owner charged us, not a penny more. In fact, Ashley used to spend his own money on materials for fire lighting demos. I have been given several items at meets, particularly precious is my wooden cup which was turned by Bernie who is a member on here, as well as a couple of fire steels and a knife. Many people have contributed food for communal meals and there has never been a suggestion that we should charge for this, even though only a few of us have actually contributed. These are purely not for profit affairs and always will be.

Anyway, each to his own, like I said, I'm sure we won't agree on this matter but I still respect your right to hold a differing opinion to me.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin; 02-04-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post

Roger
    The wristband incident I saw was a school was giving a talk in the large open area we were all sat and stood listening and a chap was going around checking bands to see what colour they were, not only was he checking but also actively moving people on who had the wrong band to stand and listen to a talk, it wasn't a master class etc maybe the talks should be given in a roped off area and checked on entering to avoid the situation in the first place. On the plus side it's an opertunity to browse stalls of second hand kit !!

I appreciate the checking of the bands, I'd be peeved if someone had got in free when I had paid 75-80 quid to get in

I've been a few times but for now that will be it due to cost and fuel etc etc

Basha
    Last edited by Basha72; 03-04-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Not finished !

Quote Originally Posted by Basha72 View Post
    I've been a few times but for now that will be it due to cost and fuel etc etc
    Basha
    I think that the cost of fuel is going to be the killer for a lot of "outdoors" activities. I live near to a "weekend Holiday" area and have seen fewer visitors around.
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/