Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 58 pattern poncho help

Banned
    You could go all traditional 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine

Boil the oil separately and add the turps heated but not boiled I personally do it outside wearing a good set of gloves

Put it on with a brush ' it's not a quick fix as it will take a week or so to dry off but what your left with is a traditional oil cloth

I swear by it on my old webbing and there going strong

Trapper
    A cheap alternative is wax furniture spay, just spay generously over the poncho and allow to dry several coats of wax may be needed. Works well with most of my kit.

Alone in the Wilderness Fallschirmwomble's Avatar
    I don't know about reproofing products but, with the '58 Poncho, just be sure to keep the studs free of whatever you paint/spray onto it.

You'll need the studs working if you wear the thing as a waterproof garment or if you snap 2x Ponchos together (for a comfortably large shelter if you've a friend with another '58 Poncho) or to make a tent type shelter (with the 3rd Poncho acting as a groundsheet).

Despite personally hating the '58 Poncho, I've recently acquired a funky "ACU" cam US Army version which is also thinner and ripstop (by mail order): I like the idea of kit being multi use (shelter, flotation, garment) and my mate still uses a '58. Point to note: the studs are not compatible.

Incidentally, the cord (if present) is to tie around your waist when worn as a garment. The 5x(? - from memory) female studs along the lower middle are to snap to the '58 Sleeping Bag. In reality, I've never seen anyone basha up like this. Also, especially if you need to reproof, this would be a BAD method to use as it'd direct penetrated water right onto the foot of your sleeping bag!

FW
    MMXIII

Alone in the Wilderness
    Just bought one of these myself and noticed as you have flaking in the inside, these items became unserviceable in the british army in the late 80s when I was demobbed, wish I had kept a hold of mine as it was a great piece of kit for using as a basha it never let me down. Just washed mine with some nikwax wash in and will be using it on a trip up to Glen Feshie in the cairngorms next weekend so if it rains I will see how it holds up.