Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 58 pattern poncho help

Alone in the Wilderness

58 pattern poncho help

Hey,
    I'm quite new to the bushcraft/wild camping scene but i have done a lot of
    regular camping
    I've recently bought a 58 pattern poncho off ebay really cheap but I think
    I will need to reproof as on the inside there are lots of gold flakes where it
    looks like the waterproofing has come off is it possible to re-proof these and if so
    what should i use?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Firstly, a very warm welcome to the NaturalBushcraft forum.

I'm afraid that I don't really know the answer to your re-proofing problem but would imagine that if you hang it right, with a decent pitch on it, it will shed water rather than drip through. It will need to be nice and tight. Why not hook it up and pour water over it with a watering can? That will be as good a test as you'll get.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Hi from me too

You could try just chucking it in the washing machine with your normal detergent and that will remove a lot of the existing proofing (I know because I accidently but a tarp in once ). When dried use a reproofing product like Fabsil or Nikwax. I don't think you will get the repellency back to the same levels as when new but it should be pretty damned good. The only thing to watch with reproofing or items with a possible flaw in existing proofing is wind. As Martin said the poncho or tarp will let most water run off because of the pitch but in windy conditions the moisture can be pushed through as a very fine mist that can be a little annoying.

Good luck.

Army Ponchos are extra waterproofed by silicone it's called silnyn or something but this comes off after time, as Martin said a good tight A frame water will just run off no problems.

-mick
    “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity...”
    ― John Muir

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    I posted this recently might be of interest http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/fo...nyPass-Repairs
    maybe able to advise further? The 58 Pattern Webbing Poncho should hold up as per details if you use Nikwax. I've seen a few tatty
    58 Ponchos very much still in use & still keeping the water out no problem
    Regards
    David

Tramp
    I don't know but thinking about it maybe the can sprays that can be used to waterproof a tent, might do the trick for you, hope this helps. to the group by the way

One with Nature
    "Always remember, no matter where you go there you are."
    hello,
    Aye' something like Grainger's Fabsil http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cf...7&productid=22
    Regards
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Tony7 View Post
    I don't know but thinking about it maybe the can sprays that can be used to waterproof a tent, might do the trick for you, hope this helps. to the group by the way

I have used Thompson Waters seal (masonery waterpoofer) quite successfully on old canvas tents - cheaper than Fabsil etc..... might be worth considering !
    * LIFE IS GOOD *

I used Nikwax Tent & Gearproof spray on mine, worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by David_JAFO View Post
    hello,
    Aye' something like Grainger's Fabsil http://www.grangers.co.uk/product.cf...7&productid=22
    Regards
    David
    I used fabsil on an old tent that I have. Works a treat!
    Check out my leatherwork: http://snowleopardleathergoods.jimdo.com
    Thanks,

Joel