Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bush Class USA - Free!

Bush Class USA - Free!

I thought I would share an interesting discovery. Don't be put off by the "USA" in the title; the contents of the class are applicable anywhere in the world:

Terry Barney (AKA the Iowa Woodsman), a former US Air Force survival instructor (S.E.R.E) has a free online Bush Class. The format is real simple.
    For each level, there is list of skills to learn. For each skill there is a Youtube video demonstrating the task. Then you post your work on the forum as proof and also for feedback. There is no time limit and you do it at your own pace whenever you feel like it or have time.

More info here: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/forumd...-BushClass-USA

Here are the requirements for the "Basic" level:

1.Feather Sticks and Shavings

2. 5 Man-made Tinders

3. The Twig Fire

4. Four Basic Bushcraft Knots

5. Improvise a Cooking Implement from Metal

6. Knife Sharpening

7. 2 Strand Twist with Man-Made Materials

8. Braiding Man-Made Materials

9.Set a Tarp Shelter

10. Make a Simple Snare

11. Tree Id and Uses

12. Cook Bannock with Fire

13.Make a Pot Hook

14. 5 Outings

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCycUrDiCrDrJ_G6GsydKveQ

It is indeed a great program from what I hear, thanks for sharing the info .

The only problem I see with it, and this is certainly not your fault, is that Bushcraft USA has become too much like the 'Wild West' - many of the mods there abuse their power and act like ignorant fools (though I seriously doubt IAWoodsman or SkogKniv are among them). I've seen quite a few people there who have done nothing wrong end up banned, and threads have been closed because the mods were tired of them...or they just don't like the topic. Many of the members are wonderful folks, no doubt, but a lot of them are leaving or considering leaving because of the corruption (some of these ex-members have formed their own blogs or joined other forums).
    Bushclass seems to me like an attempt to encourage more people to join the site (after all, you have to post on the forum for the course/s) because members are leaving.

I don't want to restrict people from taking the course/s and therefore joining BCUSA, but do so at your own risk.
    My blog, New England Bushcraft

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

"Be prepared, not scared."
    ~ Cody Lundin

Quote Originally Posted by OakAshandThorn View Post
    It is indeed a great program from what I hear, thanks for sharing the info .

The only problem I see with it, and this is certainly not your fault, is that Bushcraft USA has become too much like the 'Wild West' - many of the mods there abuse their power and act like ignorant fools (though I seriously doubt IAWoodsman or SkogKniv are among them). I've seen quite a few people there who have done nothing wrong end up banned, and threads have been closed because the mods were tired of them...or they just don't like the topic. Many of the members are wonderful folks, no doubt, but a lot of them are leaving or considering leaving because of the corruption (some of these ex-members have formed their own blogs or joined other forums).
    Bushclass seems to me like an attempt to encourage more people to join the site (after all, you have to post on the forum for the course/s) because members are leaving.

I don't want to restrict people from taking the course/s and therefore joining BCUSA, but do so at your own risk.
    You may be right, but I personally have no experience with any of the forum politics. I just think that working your way through the projects is a great way to learn bushcraft skills. You don't even really have to join the forum. I just think the projects are a fun way to learn.

I have been a member of other types of forums in the past where the moderators were overbearing, so I definitely empathize. The internet in particular is about free and open discussion, so censoring people doesn't advance the cause.
    Last edited by Sittingbull; 07-05-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sittingbull View Post
    I just think that working your way through the projects is a great way to learn bushcraft skills.
    As do I .
    But to take the 'Bushclass', you would need to create an account on the BCUSA forum and become a member.
    I definitely agree, however, that any of these skills and projects don't require you to take the course as it is from BCUSA.

Well, to be honest, I was never a member there, but I have lurked a bit - and I'm quite glad I only lurked.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
    ~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin

You don't have to join. You can just do the projects. You only need to join if you want their feedback or the certification.

In my experience the people on the forum have been nothing but friendly and helpful.

It seems to come up with a blank page gents?

And I am already a member of bushcraft USA!!

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1066 View Post

Try this one: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...ushclass-Index

Quote Originally Posted by jacko1066 View Post

Yeah the same happened to me. You probably have not been on there in a while and they have made your account inactive.

If you look at the top you will see a message starting 'If you are reading this...' there is a link in the message, copy it into your browser and you will got to a contact from. Request they reactivate your membership and, in my case, within ten mins you should be able to view the site again.

Sittingbull good on yer fella, this is very interesting and informative stuff. I am sure I will spend a fair few hours trawling through it
    Ansum La

The lessons seem to build on one another. For example setting up the tarp incorporates the knots lesson.

Incidentally I came upon Natural Bushcraft because I was looking for a video on making a tent stake/peg for the tarp lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sittingbull View Post
    You only need to join if you want their feedback or the certification.

In my experience the people on the forum have been nothing but friendly and helpful.
    My bad...should've included that in my last post .
    I am glad that they were friendly towards you .

~ Abraham Lincoln

~ Cody Lundin