Thread: Wicklow Way trek planning help

Wicklow Way trek planning help

Hello everyone,

I am planning a solo trip in April along the Wicklow Way in Ireland. I plan to fly into Dublin and walk down to Clonegal, turn around and walk back. I will be making a few off trail diversions along the way to visit nearby places of interest and hopefully do some photography. As I understand it the walk is around 130km in length and usually takes 8-10 days each way (according to wicklowway.com)

Has anyone walked this trail before and does anyone have any advice regarding this trek? I would be grateful for any information regarding this particular journey especially in the areas of expected terrain, clothing/foot wear needs, availability of fresh water supplies, local villages worth visiting to resupply and items definitely worth taking (bearing in mind I have a 20kg weight limit on my flight luggage).

I am used to staying out for several days at a time in all weathers and have only ever solo camped. My experience so far has been limited to the woods and moorlands of Cornwall.

My standard kit consists of: Pro-Force 45 litre bag, dog food tin hobo stove, Tatonka meths stove, 58 Pattern water bottle & metal cup with lid, Bahco Laplander, Frosts Mora Clipper, tarp, sleeping bag, bivvy bag, hammock, roll mat, hygiene kit, first aid kit, fire starting kit, head torch, compass, maps, clothing & paracord.

Robin

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I would get in contact with the Irish Bushcraft Club, I'm not 100% sure but I think they have had meets in the past somewhere in the wicklow hills so they maybe able to point you in the right direction..

Hi Robin, I can't help you but I do envy you. If you do make it, share your experiences with us.

Paul.
    Don't sweat the small stuff - and it's ALL small stuff...!

luresalive, thank you for your reply I shall get in touch with them and see what information I can gather.

Paul, I intend to keep a diary of my jaunt and do some photography so I will report back when I have completed it.