Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silly question - Are foxes good for eating?

Silly question - Are foxes good for eating?

My experience of wild food is mostly limited to snaffling a few grapes from the produce aisle of my local supermarket, so to say I know bugger all about what wild food are safe to eat and what are not, would be an understatement.

So early today I found myself having a random conversation about foxes and in particular shooting them, to keep the population down.

My contribution to the 'debate' made in jest but taken seriously was 'if you are going to kill them, you may as well cook them and eat them too'

This comment was met with blank stares, a couple of head shakes and the odd 'pillock' being muttered affectionately under folks breath, which is fair enough as Fox is not an animal that would immediately spring to mind when listing those that are safe to cook and eat.

But it got me thinking (which is always a worry, especially when I have time on my hands) are foxes an animal you could cook and safely eat?
    I imagine as they eat anything (and everything) the meat off a fox could be pretty suspect, but would it be harmful?

I genuinely have no idea, so if anyone would care to enlighten me on the viability of foxes as food (and badgers, hedgehogs and other traditional 'roadkill' if you are feeling expansive) I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,

Colin
    Ansum La

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    It would not be harmful, it will not poison you nor will it pass on any parasites provided the meat is well cooked, but that does not mean it will taste good! I was on a course when the chief instructor told us they were away for a week in scandinavia, the only thing they caught that they could eat was a fox, they ate it, it provided calories but they said it was rank..but then again, we all have different tastes.

Here's a useful link for this sort of conversation which is all about pest, vermin and game including seasons.

http://www.basc.org.uk//en/departmen...ng-seasons.cfm

Here's a useful thing to know about meat tastes:

Herbivores taste lovely
    Insectivores taste porky
    Fish eaters taste fishy
    Carnivores taste ... potent
    Carrion eaters taste disgusting
    Rubbish eaters taste rubbish
    Pooh eaters taste like pooh

There are exceptions of course, like crocs, which I hear taste rather nice.

So no, a fox is unlikey to be good eating, though I have no friends who have. However, I hear badger and hedgehog are nice, and that's from people who have eaten them.
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

Cheers fellas, thanks for indulging my curiosity
    Ansum La

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    it will not poison you
    The only time it would is if it was poisoned as cooking does not destroy toxins. One might ask why something got hit by a car. Was it woosy?
    Steve Marvell
    Professional Survival Instructor
    Blog: Survival's Cool also available on Facebook

in the words of crocodile dundee "you can live on it, but it tastes like $#!+" i saw a video of a guy who tried it and he said it tasted real bad.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I've had croc, it tastes fishy and not in a nice way, I didn't like it. A fox is a dog and dogs are eaten in many countries, there was a program on TV when the guy ate road kill including foxes,he said it tasted like petrol!!!!

I've eaten fox and even tho it was bled out almost instantly it tasted very metallic. You know that usual "copper penny" taste from unbled meat.

I think that a word of caution should be passed on here about the inherent risks associated with eating road kill as Steve pointed out earlier.

I know that you said you would be shooting and eating, which is fine but NEVER eat road kill unless you saw it get run over. Don't want to hijack your thread but a friend of mine lost 6 of his prize gun dogs by eating road kill, long story but needless to say its just not safe.

Ade.

Tribesman
    All I'm gonna say is...don't cook it indoors
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    I've eaten fox and even tho it was bled out almost instantly it tasted very metallic. You know that usual "copper penny" taste from unbled meat.

I think that a word of caution should be passed on here about the inherent risks associated with eating road kill as Steve pointed out earlier.

I know that you said you would be shooting and eating, which is fine but NEVER eat road kill unless you saw it get run over. Don't want to hijack your thread but a friend of mine lost 6 of his prize gun dogs by eating road kill, long story but needless to say its just not safe.

Ade.
    we have broken this rule, but i think it was pretty safe. we went up the road to countrywide for an hours and on our way back down the same road we picked up 2 roadkill pheasants, still warm! tasted lovely.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"