Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recovering a Post

Recovering a Post

I just spent a little while writing a detailed review of the Crusader Cup and Cooker Unit, but when I went to post a new thread, I got an error message and ALL OF IT was lost.

Now that I have stopped swearing, as I am not much of a techie, I was wondering if anyone knows whether my review can be recovered and if it can how I would go about recovering it or if I just have to write it again (if I can be bothered).

Thanks,

Colin
    Ansum La

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    I'm afraid that it will be lost unless you can hit the 'back' button and it may be there, although I'm sure it's too late by the time you're reading this. If it becomes a recurring issue then I would suggest that you highlight and copy all of your text prior to hitting submit; that way all of the text will be saved on your clipboard just in case.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin; 19-04-2012 at 07:40 AM.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

I used to have this issue when writing long posts. To me it was because I didn't tick the "keep me logged in" box. I would type up a long post, hit submit and be asked to log in. Once logged in my post would be gone! After a couple of times of this happening, I started doing what Martin says and copying before submitting. I think it was because I'd spend so long typing that the session timed out and would automatically log me out.
    I'm now logged in permanent and no longer have this issue.... I still copy just in case tho
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Cheers Fellas.

It was gone as soon as I hit the back button, which now I've had a kip, I can say was a tad irritating.

Copying to be safe is definitely the way forward. The annoying thing is, I do usually copy long posts before I submit them, but as I'd been at it a while and it was getting late, I forgot on this occasion.

Fiddlesticks.

The one glimmer of hope I have is based upon something I saw a friend do. She was typing something gossipy on some celeb focused forum, in between doing actual work on her PC. When she finally hit send, she had been timed out and as happened to me, the message was gone.

After some very unladylike language directed at technology in general and her PC in particular, she went into the PC's memory/history and recovered her post from some log or other and resubmitted it.

So, I guess I'm asking if anyone knows how to do what she did and talk me though doing it too. (I have messaged her, but she is in a different time zone these days and a bit flaky, so I'm casting the help net a little wider).

I'm probably on a hiding to nothing, but as there are a few folks on here who know about these log files and what have you, I have to ask.

Thanks

Colin
    Clutching wildly at a fading glimmer
    Ansum La

Pretty sure you're boned mate. Forums tend not to store unsubmitted info, so if the post wasnt submitted due to an error, you'll probably have to rewrite it. Looking forward to the review though

Hi If I'm writting a long post I do it in word then post it here it helps to as I use the spell checker and stuff I hope that helps
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

I find it quite easy to recover a long post. All you have to do i
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Look, I know that this is veering massively off topic but just wanted to share this with you all; apropos the usefulness of spell checkers. If you copy and paste into MS Word you won't get a single error.

I have a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plane lee marks four my revue
    Miss steaks aye can knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it
    Your sure real glad two no
    It's vary polished in it's weigh
    My checker tolled me sew

A checker is a bless sing
    It freeze yew lodes of thyme
    It helps me awl stiles two reed
    And aides me when aye rime

To rite with care is quite a feet
    Of witch won should be proud
    And wee mussed dew the best wee can
    Sew flaws are knot aloud

And now bee cause my spelling
    is checked with such grate flare
    Their are know faults with in my site
    Of nun eye am a wear

Each frays comes posed up on my screen
    Eye trussed to be a joule
    The checker poured over every word
    To cheque sum spelling rule

That's why aye brake in two averse
    By righting wants too pleas
    Sow now ewe sea why aye dew prays
    Such soft wear for pea seas

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Works good dont it Martin PS I'll ave to get one of them.

LMAO Mine doesnt od tath LOL
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses