Thread: Bear Grylls axed by the Discovery Channel

Bear Grylls axed by the Discovery Channel

Hi folks

Just read on Sky News that Bear Grylls has been axed by the discovery channel in the US over "contractual disputes".

However, on a more concerning note, the article goes on to say that two of his children are called Marmaduke and Huckleberry !!

Seriously, if I had a name like that in school I would have been bullied beyond belief.

Anyway, back to the point, does this spell the end for Man vs Wild and Urban Survivor?

Ade.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianRose View Post
    Hi folks

Just read on Sky News that Bear Grylls has been axed by the discovery channel in the US over "contractual disputes".

However, on a more concerning note, the article goes on to say that two of his children are called Marmaduke and Huckleberry !!

Seriously, if I had a name like that in school I would have been bullied beyond belief.

Anyway, back to the point, does this spell the end for Man vs Wild and Urban Survivor?

Ade.
    I wonder if his insistence on staying in luxury accommodation while filming was the basis for these 'contractual disputes' ?

Or if he has two dogs called Mark and Harry?
    Ansum La

I believe Tesco are looking for people at the mo'...
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Ummmm.........

Sorry, unsure what to say, settled on that.

maybe he can start making his own survival shows now without all the action-man shots and small animal munching. i miss having a good bushcraft and survival skills programme which shows you the skills, all the skills, and nothing but the skills.
    "There's enough in this world for everyones need, but not enough for everyone greed"
    Ghandi

"only when the last tree has burned, the last fish has been caught, the last river poisoned, will we realise we cannot eat money"

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Maybe he'll go down the poorly viewed Mears nature program route, and do a show something like "Bears' big bare bears"

I certainly hope not! I have great admiration for this man and what he does for Scouting. Unfortunately he has been regarded with great disdain here in the states for his more questionable antics while out in the bush, but I truly believe that he has a lot to contribute. I would love to see him do something along the lines of Ray Mears, but who knows what will happen. I really don't think that he'll disappear by any means.
    Smoothin it

Quote Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
    I certainly hope not! I have great admiration for this man and what he does for Scouting. Unfortunately he has been regarded with great disdain here in the states for his more questionable antics while out in the bush, but I truly believe that he has a lot to contribute. I would love to see him do something along the lines of Ray Mears, but who knows what will happen. I really don't think that he'll disappear by any means.

I do like Bear Grylls, even though I've been a bit hard on him in his shows (look at who else I watch and see why), but I WOULD like to see this 'one trick pony' do another type of interesting show, or a few shows. Look at the broad spectrum of what Ray Mears has done, history, survival, bushcraft, cultures, etc. Heck, Les Stroud has run the course of extreme (totally alone) survival based shows and moved onto visiting and learning from other cultures and has a series about them. I want to see Bear come up with a cool idea outside the box and run with it, he'll earn back a lot of respect (ignoring the namebrand Gerber and clothing lines of course)........ here ya go, he can do a show on his Scouting involvements and the things he teaches kids, not done yet, brilliant!