Thread: The tree house diaries how to live wild in the woods by Nick Weston

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow

The tree house diaries how to live wild in the woods by Nick Weston

I was given this book as a gift when I got out of hospital..
    The book is about the author living in a tree house in the woods for 6 months and living off the land.
    I really do not see what the point of this book is and who its aimed at, but I am enjoying reading it.. (About half way through so far)

Nick Weston is described as a "survival expert" on the back of the book, but reading it I get the impression he has done a couple of courses, read a couple of books and thought he was an expert in the subject. Nick is no expert, and reading the book its obvious that he isn't. Much of what he does he is making up as he goes.
    The book is a series of how to's and a diary of what he gets up to. The wild food that he finds is made into recipes using shop bought ingredients so he isn't really living off the land in the true sence.
    Some things in the book don't add up either. In a couple of places he states that he must not go fishing before june 15th because that is when the fishing season starts, but in the book it describes a fishing trip well before the season has started. He also sets out night lines, which I believe to be illegal. Also, he seems to be able to pick and choose what meat to kill. He says that although there are squirrels about, he does not fancy eating them. I know others are bringing in shop bought food for him from time to time, but if you are hungry and a meal appears, you take it, wether you fancy it or not. This gave me the impression he had so much shop bought food he did not really need to kill much.. The food from his small allotment seemed to go a long way too, feeding him and many friends time after time..

Saying all that, and despite the strange lay out of the book, its an interesting read. I like his enthusiasm, and he certainly has a good ability of putting recipes together from various food stuffs. I like what he is doing too.

Not really one to go out and buy at full price imo, but if you see it going cheap it should entertain you for a bit..

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I've read this, not bad at all and a good change from all the military inspired nonsense we seem to be getting lately.

There was an article about him in the Daily Hate - LINKY
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/