Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT - Something to always remember!

Sorry to hear about that ken, il remember that for the future.
    bacon on the fire

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    Indeed...

Here's a few other shockers:

If you knife's blade is longer than 12 cm, you need an especially good reason for carrying it in the woods. The validity of said reason is up to the police officer to decide. That means, that though it is legal to carry a knife in the woods here in Denmark, I risk going to jail every time I take my 8" leuku out. Why? Because (and this is a direct quote from a policeman, when I went to the station and asked about the rules regarding larger knives) "You do not need such a large knife, you could just carry an axe." My answer to that comment was that my personal preference in tools, was no business of the police, their job was to decide whether my intent with said knife was legal or not. His answer: "Then you better hope I don't catch you carrying it!" I turned around an walked out after that comment, I had nothing constructive to add.

One hand assisted knives are illegal here in Denmark. According to the law a knife is one hand assisted, when it is constructed to be. According to the police, any knife than someone can open one handed, is one hand assisted. This means that virtually any blade you carry can be "made/considered" illegal by the police officer searching you. I sell a lot of knives at the shop - and now and then a customer comes in, telling that he has had a knife consficated and have been presented with a knife, due to a knife bought from us. It is the same circus every time, always ending op with us having to ask our supplier for a statement from the main weapons office in Copenhagen. We have yet to "loose" one of these battles with our local police - yet they keep on harassing our costumers.

Neck knives are illegal here in Denmark, which means that you risk being fined for carrying any knife around you neck - no matter where you are and/or whether you have a valid purpose for carrying the knife (no, I am, unfortunally, not kidding!)

It is perfectly legal for me to keep a folding shovel and an axe in the back of our car, at all time. But if I keep a fixed blade knife, a lockable folder/mulittool or any folder/mulittool with a blade over 7 cm - then I am breaking the law.
    Last edited by JEEP; 09-03-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Always remember when your travelling back from the 'wilds' to take your knife off your belt and put it deep in the confines of your rucksack, otherwise, like me, you could end up being arrested for being in posession of an 'offensive weapon' and spending the night in a police cell waiting to be interviewed and telling an officer of the law that your knife is not an offensive weapon but an essential bushcraft tool. Not every officer of the law has heard of bushcraft, Ray Mears or Bear Grylls.

I am still awaiting the return of my bushcraft cutlery and I know with all these knife amnesties they will be hesitant to return it to me.

Trust me, it's not a nice experience!

"Yikes" this is all scary stuff,
    It reminds me why I'm out here in South Africa,where such matters are somewhat more liberal, though there have been some rumblings lately, I'll abide once I see the Zulu's & Xhosa's are no longer brandishing assegais at ceromonial gatherings, or toy-toying down the street at some protest or other, with knobkerries in their hands.

@ Jeep - You seem to have very tough "knife" laws in Denmark. Have you had much trouble with "knife" related crime in the past?
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    @ Jeep - You seem to have very tough "knife" laws in Denmark. Have you had much trouble with "knife" related crime in the past?
    Not really. Knife assaults has been in decline since the 50s. But the media is blowing up the issue at the moment - and has been for the last ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkillphil View Post
    Exactly, as some would have argued that we are free men of the woods bla d bla..... Is it really worth the stress, hassle and possible loss of a sometimes beloved tool, not to mention the other possiblity of a criminal record to argue this freedom to an officer of the law?

In your case Ken, this was obviously a small matter of forgetfulness and not you trying to flaunt the 'freedom of the woodsman'.

Hope it all works out bud, will you be frequenting the RV this year?

Yes, Phil, me and the mrs will be at the RV. Can't wait to be honest!
    It's amazing what you can do with some meths and hexi blocks!

Coming Soon - http://www.bushcrafters.co.uk

I'd like to thank you all for your words of support. I'll keep you posted on whether I get my trusty tool back, or if I'm forced to fork out another £80 to replace it. It's my 40th birthday tomorrow and one of my presents will be a rather nice little axe. Better get a cab home and hope the police aren't following me home!
    It's amazing what you can do with some meths and hexi blocks!

Coming Soon - http://www.bushcrafters.co.uk

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Ken, if you were on your way back from a night out in the woods, how did a police officer come to arrest you for carrying a knife? It's not clear in your original post what the circumstances were. I'm sure this information would also be useful.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Some seem to be saying this is an outrage, but let's not forget that Ken has NOT been charged with anything (I am right in saying that, aren't I, Ken?).
    Whatever excuse he came up with, it was obviously adequate.
    I see that as an essentially good thing. Common sense did prevail (even if it could have prevailed a night in the cells earlier...)
    Let's just hope enough sense prevails that he gets his knife back - should if no offence has been committed.

Also, I'm surprised at Jeep's words. Sounds like it's just as draconian in Denmark as here in the UK. I always associate the Scandinavian countries as being more relaxed.

Even those great liberal wildernesses of the US and Canada seem to be experiencing more constraints (though decidedly liberal in comparison).

The world and its attitudes are changing. I'm sure the hand-wringers out there will be bemoan that fact, but it's always been thus. The world is getting busier and busier, with the population increasing. Laws have to be made for all. You and I know we are responsible and legit knife users but you can't legislate with a clause saying 'idiots excepted.'

I'll continue to take what I need for what I am doing and store and use such tools in a responsible manner. The key is to stand outside yourself and look at yourself as a stranger would look at you. You know you're OK, but they don't. It's nothing to do with 'rights'. It's about respect and responsibility - respect for the feelings of those who don't know you, and responsibility to use items that some see as threatening (whether used threateningly or not) in a considerate manner.
    Too many bushcrafters spend a lot of time wailing about their right to carry bladed items and don't spend enough time thinking about other's rights to not have strangers wandering around with threatening-looking items.
    Last edited by Roadkillphil; 13-03-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    'What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare' - William Henry Davies

Kestrels:
    https://foraknave.wordpress.com/

Thinking:
    https://thinkingthink.wordpress.com/

Talland Bay.. An pleg-mor Kernewek hag a wra kovyow
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Ken, if you were on your way back from a night out in the woods, how did a police officer come to arrest you for carrying a knife? It's not clear in your original post what the circumstances were. I'm sure this information would also be useful.

Martin
    It sounds to me like he had it on show, and was pulled up because of that..
    The thing is, carrying a fixed blade is not illegal, you just need to have a good excuse for carrying it. That comes down to what policeman hears the excuse, and what sort of mood he/she is in etc.. Some people carrying knives will be ok, while others will not.
    Ken might of been pulled over cos he was dressed all in black with a balaclava on his head and a swag bag though ;0)

Jeep.. It sounds like the media hype rules over there too. Everything is so much in the public eye these days. Can you buy knives on ebay over there..?