Thread: Drowning - a short article

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapper4083 View Post
    Ok no need to shout.

"Water is powerful & relentless... but predictable. Learning to swim effectively, learning to read the water and make it to a place of safety may just stop you from becoming a statistic. knowledge + experience = judgement"

Also notice I was pointing out staying away from the flipping stuff in the first place, and how important it is to learn how to swim
    Learning to swim is all well and good, but knowing personally 2 men from my youth who were very powerful swimmers yet both died in the Irish sea due to hypothermia, sets things in perspective...if it's inland waterways, swimming is good, if it's costal and you don't get help fast,being able to swim is not necessarily an advantage, when afloat you should always wear a life jacket note not a bouancy aid but a LIFE JACKET! ( hypothermia may still get you though)

I have done quite a few boating courses and I remember well one instructor telling me to always wear a life jacket in the sea, "cause there's no way you're swimming to shore from 10 miles out and if hypothermia does get you then with a life jacket at least we can retrieve your body!" That shocked me, but I got the point.
    Last edited by luresalive; 09-03-2012 at 12:51 PM.