Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey...lets be careful out there!!!

Just as much danger in Urban areas - LINKY
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Interesting post this. I was out in the Yorkshire dales a few weeks ago.I saw a poster about the release of wild wolf's in the area above Kettlewell.
    A bad day on the hills is better than a good day in work any time.

Remember pain is only weakness leaving the body.

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy202wr View Post
    Interesting post this. I was out in the Yorkshire dales a few weeks ago.I saw a poster about the release of wild wolf's in the area above Kettlewell.
    Hell...that puts the Fox way down the list
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

I know that it's nice to see Beavers again but they have been a disaster apparently
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

On one of the lakes I fish, an angler was nipped by a fox whilst asleep under a brolly. Although from what I can gather his foodstuffs were not very well stored, ie messy bugger with used pots and pans around the area, as a consequence he is now a lot neater in his bivvy area, although I gather he does not sleep quite as easily as he used to on an overnighter.

Had a few foxes around my bivvy whilst I've been out and about never had a problem, although they do seem to be less afraid of us than they were in years gone by

You can follow all the right do's and don'ts when you're out in the bush, but predicting wild animals is never an exact science. I've had dozens of bear encounters,
    but only one worrying one...he decided to block the only entrance to the tent with Sharon inside and me outside. Some fancy canoe paddle brandishing solved it pretty quick
    and sent him on his way. (We went out the next week and bought a tent with two doors!). Bears are thick on the ground here and we're pretty used to seeing lots of sign
    and being out camping with them around....The one critter, however, that does give me the creeps is the cougar; you can potentially only know one is around when he
    lands on your back! I read very recently that a population of eastern cougars was confirmed by biologists to be living in this part of Ontario.
    Note to self: add shotgun & slugs to canoe trip kit list...

Happy Camping,

Jack

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Just copied this from the Ten Tors website. It confirms what has been said.

"Mon, 27 Feb 2012 at 08:21:19:
    The Gutter Tor Fox(es)

Hi,

I manage the Dartmouth Ten Tors Teams and this weekend we camped near the Scout Hut below Gutter Tor (SX 578669). During the evening we were welcomed by a Fox that didn’t seem to be fazed by us being there.

During the night the said Fox or Foxes embarked on a mass destruction of our tent guy ropes, it chewed through virtually every guy rope on 10 tents. It also bit holes into 2 tents to try and get to the food we had inside. The Fox was quite successful in biting through and getting to food , it even managed to bite in through the side pocket of one of the young persons rucksacks. At first we thought the wind had picked up and despite getting up during the night to chase it off and collect our belongings it still returned.

It would be a good idea to warn other groups about this as we believe that other groups may have had the same experience due to evidence of guy ropes around the site when we arrived.

I wondered if you could put this warning on the website so others can change the campsite should they be intending to use it, I am certainly going to change our next camp from there.

The night proved to be a great talking point for much of yesterday, thankfully the YP weren’t to bothered by it and we all had enough food to spread around for those that had lost theirs.

Kind Regards

Theresa Walker"

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Right, that's it! I'm never going camping again in case I get eaton by foxes!!

Seriously though, in 2003 Em and and I were camping in the forest of Dean and Fern (our terrier) woke us up growling. After ten minutes of this I had to find out what was spooking her. When I opened up the tent and looked in the porch I found Ferns food bowl with most of the food gone and a huge hedgehog sat in the bowl chowing down on what was left!!

It took me years to brave the dangerous wilds of the great outdoors after being violated like that! I still have nightmares about that hedgehog..... :P

Really seriously this time, I can imagine it isn't easy pickings for foxes on Dartmoor and as we encroach further into their habitats without threatening them, hunger and lack of fear lead to this. At the end of the day, theym kind of wild dogs, and as our resident dog expert would tell you, dogs are opportunists. Like urban foxes, They're taking advantage of the easy pickings.
    It is a pain having equipment damaged, but I would not feel threatened in anyway at all.... Unless it was hedgehogs we'm talkin about
    Last edited by Roadkillphil; 10-04-2012 at 06:44 PM.
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Just copied this from the Ten Tors website. It confirms what has been said.
    Yep, nobody got injured or eaten by one.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Yep, nobody got injured or eaten by one.
    It's good to remain factual isn't it?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.