Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey...lets be careful out there!!!

Tribesman

Hey...lets be careful out there!!!

Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

I know they can cause havoc but what a lovely creature! bit of a shame it had to be shot.I have seen the damage they can do,my lad works on a farm and recently a fox got in and killed half a dozen chickens semingly just for fun,still that was some fox!

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    A fox attacked and damaged tents up on Dartmoor a couple of weeks ago. It was trying to scavenge food from the tents whilst the owners were inside!!

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

What a lovely beast. Its not suprising that they are getting bigger really when you consider what we leave for them to scavenge.

Just another thought, is evolution playing its part as wolves have been absent in the UK for some time? The removal of one large predator may allow lesser species to take their place requiring an increase in size to take larger prey.

Tribesman
    Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Just another thought, is evolution playing its part as wolves have been absent in the UK for some time? The removal of one large predator may allow lesser species to take their place requiring an increase in size to take larger prey.
    I can see your reasoning but Wolves are pack animals, whilst Foxes are lone hunters. I'm not sure that there is a larger prey for the Fox to predate on.
    Having said that, it does appear that Foxes are becoming larger to some extent.

Tribesman
    The thought of a 38lb Fox tearing at my tent is not something I'd relish.
    The Pasty would have to be sacrificed I'm afraid.

It would have to be a bloody big fox to snaffle a pasty of me

Having said that, foxes attacking tents is a bit of a worry though. Imagine you are on your lonesome, camped out on the moors, trying your best not to dream about the opening scenes of An American Werewolf in London (is that just me?) and you get jolted into wakefulness by a ruddy great fox, tearing through your tent, right by your head.

Potentially a brown trouser moment?

Quote Originally Posted by rossbird View Post
    The thought of a 38lb Fox tearing at my tent is not something I'd relish.
    The Pasty would have to be sacrificed I'm afraid.
    Ok, so here's my two penneth worth!
    On my last trip to the UK, I was amazed at the abundance of foxes, roaming the streets of my old home town of Gosport, which has little claim to being rural, they owned the night and were driving the local dog population crazy!
    So now I ask, what price, the cessation of the local Sunday hunt, not only have their numbers increased to the point where they freely roam the streets at will, they are evolving in to what amounts to a super predator.
    Why is it that the bunny huggers and mother grundies have so much clout, as to sway things towards what appears to be a pending ecological disaster?

I think that we have to be a bit cautious about this story.
    The fox that has just been shot was in a rural environment as was the very large fox that was shot in Kent (?) last year.
    The foxes that I used to see when I lived in Hillingdon near Heathrow, were poor thin creatures. In the time that I lived there I only saw two that I would describe as being in good condition and I used to see them every night as they would to run up and down the grass verge in front of the house.
    Fox Hunting was still allowed at the time but I never saw the Quorn or Belvoir queueing up to hunt Hayes, Hillingdon or Uxbridge. They would have found much more worthy vermin pursue if they had
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/