Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tick Bite Prevention Week

Woah boys!! Some posts are probably best saved for PMs. The written word can be very easily misinterpreted and it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick sometimes.

Let's be nice

Cheers

Phil
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

You're right Phil...I just feel like I've been bitten by a Tick.....Pardon the pun .
    oh well try again

Quote Originally Posted by cuppa joe View Post
    Ive made the same joke twice...Saddie are you having a go at me ?...Have I offended you in some way ?....If so it is clearly not my intention as I have never spoken with you before so please If my comments do offend feel free not to read them.
    Oh god no you haven't offended me at all, and hope I haven't offended you? I replied to your first post, then saw your second one...I was purely having a laugh at how thick I was being....with our TBPW coming up, we are really busy, so brain is just smushed.....but as said the written word can be read differently to how it was meant.....trust me I was in stiches with your joke, I passed it on to my husband and son, who just mocked me for being such a div for not getting it first time...... hope this clears it up.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkillphil View Post
    Woah boys!! Some posts are probably best saved for PMs. The written word can be very easily misinterpreted and it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick sometimes.

Let's be nice

Cheers

Phil
    No worries here Phil, just my sarcasm may have not transferred properly to the post. I love a good joke, just my brain was is tick info mode..and missed it...if anything I was miffed at myself for not getting it....usually I'm rather sharp.....but I will be passing it on to others in the charity....If I've caused issues I apologise....

Glad also that you have had no issues since being bitten.
    Last edited by saddie; 24-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Here is a link to some of our antics at one of the shows we went too.......we arrived on Sunday morning, no other fowk were at the show...so there was nothing else for it.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gm6gh_ZRKs

If any of you guys are in groups or organisations that could use tick information, please contact our press office and we can send out leaflets, we have human and animal ones....we were lucky to get funding allowing us to be able to send out our literature without having to charge for p&p......are any of you going to the Outdoor Pursuits Show in Edinburgh? If you are please come along and say hello....

Here's a really good video of tick removal. I wasn't sure how to use the O'tom Tick thingys until I watched it

It seems that covering the Tick with Vaseline, toothpaste or whatever in to the wat to do it - posts on UK Campsites

Here's the proper way to do it
    Video linky
    Only my dog can judge me

http://www.devilark.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by happybonzo View Post
    Here's a really good video of tick removal. I wasn't sure how to use the O'tom Tick thingys until I watched it

It seems that covering the Tick with Vaseline, toothpaste or whatever in to the wat to do it - posts on UK Campsites

Here's the proper way to do it
    Video linky
    Thanks for bringing that horrendous post to my attention. I have gone on the site and...well explained the error of the posters ways..... Brilliant to know that your using your O'Tom twister and NOT vaseline...if these fowk did a bit of research they would realise that ticks only breath once an hour..so no way your gonna smother them! Thanks again

Trapper
    Used to work over at Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, and they sampled the ticks and found that 1 in 5 was a potential Lyme Disease carrier. As Rangers we tried several tick removers and the O'Tom twister beat them hands down. We were always told that however you remove them (ie by hand or by a tick remover) you are best to twist them in an ANTI-clockwise direction because the majority of ticks 'screw' themselves in clockwise. Don't if true but again always works. Have seen footage of a tick biting and it does twist or 'screw' itself in, so straight pulling out isn't the best method. The following weblink may also be of use: http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/tick-removal.html. It is pretty important to try and stop them biting in the first place but also to check yourself over after each trip out. More so look for the bullseye rash and don't assume doctors know about Lyme Disease - very few do, in our experience (one of our volunteers had to make the suggestion before it was even considered and he did have early stages of it - luckily treatable by antibiotics).

Quote Originally Posted by Hushwing View Post
    Used to work over at Loch Lomond and the Trossachs, and they sampled the ticks and found that 1 in 5 was a potential Lyme Disease carrier. As Rangers we tried several tick removers and the O'Tom twister beat them hands down. We were always told that however you remove them (ie by hand or by a tick remover) you are best to twist them in an ANTI-clockwise direction because the majority of ticks 'screw' themselves in clockwise. Don't if true but again always works. Have seen footage of a tick biting and it does twist or 'screw' itself in, so straight pulling out isn't the best method. The following weblink may also be of use: http://www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/tick-removal.html. It is pretty important to try and stop them biting in the first place but also to check yourself over after each trip out. More so look for the bullseye rash and don't assume doctors know about Lyme Disease - very few do, in our experience (one of our volunteers had to make the suggestion before it was even considered and he did have early stages of it - luckily treatable by antibiotics).
    The number of infected ticks was indeed 1 in 5 a few years ago, but has risen to now 1 in 3....The O'Tom Tick Twister is the best and easiest way to remove a tick, it doesn't matter which way you turn it, so long as you keep going the same way. The mouth parts of the tick has barbs, it looks like an upside down xmas tree. The barbs are what can get stuck in the host if not removed properly. Also their saliva works as a cement to hold the mouth parts in place. Ticks saliva melts the flesh which creates a hole for the mouth parts to go into.
    The only definative sign that a person has Lyme is the "Bullseye" rash...but as you say most Dr's don't know as much as they maybe should about Lyme. Only 50% of people infected with Lyme get a rash of any description, so best to look out for the flu symptoms and exhaustion. Also if you remove a tick, put in between two bits of cellotape and mark the date on the calendar..keep an eye on yourself for 6 weeks as it can take a while for symptoms to appear. If caught early it is so treatable...that is why we do what we do...trying to reach as many fowk as we can to raise awareness about ticks and Lyme disease.