Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tick Bite Prevention Week

Tick Bite Prevention Week

It’s that time of year again folks! Ticks will soon be active so read on to find out how to stay protected!

Ticks can carry harmful infections that can be transmitted to humans. It is estimated that each year around 3,000 people in the UK contract Lyme disease (Borreliosis) from a tick bite.

If you take part in outdoor activities or simply enjoy being in the countryside, or parks and gardens where wildlife is present, you may be at risk from tick bites. In fact, research from the School of Biological Sciences, University of Bristol, published in January 2012, suggests that the prevalence of Lyme disease bacteria in the UK tick population is considerably higher than most recent estimates indicated.

Tick Bite Prevention Week, supported by Mosi-guard Natural™, runs from 26 March-1 April 2012, and is an annual programme that helps promote awareness of tick-borne diseases and effective tick-bite prevention for at-risk groups, including pet owners and their animals.

Don't panic but be 'Tick Aware'!

Simple precautions can help to keep you safe. The campaign's Patron, Bushcraft and Survival expert Ray Mears, shares his Top Tips that can be taken to help prevent ticks from biting people and pets.

The great outdoors is there to be enjoyed, so make sure you visit www.tickbitepreventionweek.org for lots of useful information and advice.

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    - Ray's Top Tips on Ticks

I've been lucky enough to avoid ticks, anyone been bitten?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

Thanks for the timely reminder. Last year I got a total of 7 of the little buggers after 3 weekend trips.

Need to dig out my tick tool.

Ade.

Forgot to mention that on one of the occasions I was wearing long woollen socks, jackpyke countryman boots and gaiters!! And they still got through!!

Ade.

Tribal Elder
    pfff....deer populated areas i camp in...caught about 5 on one weekender at Dalmally

Trapper
    Not sure if it was a tick but myself and the wife got bitten on holiday in the Lakes a few years back. We were staying in a converted barn and had chickens in the garden which we would feed and cattle in a paddock at the bottom of the garden. We would go to the fence and call them over for a stroke on the ears. At the end of the holiday I had a few bite marks on my limbs and an annoying recurrant headache and muscle stiffness that would come and go. I eventually started with a fever and ended up with a stay in resus with a cardiac rhythm called ventricular standstill and PVCs (over to you Phil and Sapper). After this my wife ended up with the same bite marks and she got the headache and fever but with infective arthritis in her joints. It got so bad she called me back from work and I ended up giving her IV morphine just so she could get out of bed to go to the bathroom. I don't know what it was but neither of us ever want it again. If it was from ticks then I've not had it since as I am extra careful during warmer months and keep an eye out for them. My daughter had one on her ear last year but no illness following removal. Be aware and be safe.
    Infamy infamy, they've all got it in for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan XF View Post
    PVCs
    Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs) are extra, abnormal heartbeats that begin in one of your heart's two lower pumping chambers (ventricles). These extra beats disrupt your regular heart rhythm, sometimes causing you to feel a flip-flop or skipped beat in your chest. Premature ventricular contractions are very common — they occur in most people at some point. If you have occasional premature ventricular contractions, but you're an otherwise healthy person, there's generally no reason for concern, and no treatment is needed. If you have frequent premature ventricular contractions or underlying heart disease, you may need treatment to help you feel better and treat underlying heart problems.

We are riddled with ticks here in the Peak, my dog normally picks them up (even when treated which I do every spring to autumn), as far as Im aware I have never been bitten. Maybe its because i generally wear gaiters (boggy in the Dark Peak) We have had a couple of MR bods up here go down with Lymes and we are particularly watchful for the signs and symptoms.
    [

I never look I had some black things on me last year in the peaks tho still dont know what they are tho
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Casey View Post
    I never look I had some black things on me last year in the peaks tho still dont know what they are tho
    And I must be stupid because i never thought they were such a problem,always more aware of rat urine in the water and all the problems that can bring. Paul

I know they where bad (Ticks) in Germany my son had a few but I never seem to get hem maybe Im just lucky or they dont like my blood
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses