Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Views on the 'Forestry Comission'....& camping.

Views on the 'Forestry Comission'....& camping.

I would love to hear our member's views and thoughts on the Forestry comission's no camping policy......
    • Does anyone camp on 'their land'? (term used lightly)

Has anyone any experience of camping in the forest of Dalby in Yorkshire?

Thank you in advance for any views left......
    There's no brew without fire.

I personally think that bushcrafters should have some sort of lobby or group to help support our way of life and give us places where we could go if there isnt anywhere to use locally. If you stop all the rabble (People just out to get drunk and ruin the landscape) it could work. We could have sites to travel around like a planned out trip around the UK. Maybe there is something but I have not heard of one
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Casey View Post
    I personally think that bushcrafters should have some sort of lobby or group to help support our way of life and give us places where we could go if there isnt anywhere to use locally. If you stop all the rabble (People just out to get drunk and ruin the landscape) it could work. We could have sites to travel around like a planned out trip around the UK. Maybe there is something but I have not heard of one
    Completely agree mate.

I've just set up an e-petition with HM Government (DEFRA) entitled 'Bushcraft' - it's been sent in for review so you might not see it for up to seven days. When you do manage to view it, let me know if you think the description or 'mission statement' is suitable for our purposes or if it needs reviewing, then GET EVERYONE on this and other forums TO SIGN IT.

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Ok mate sounds great have you got a link too it to have a look and or so that we can post it everywhere like here and FB? One idea could be is for all the different groups of buschcrafters to get together for example the forum owners could chat to arrange some sort of meeting and the either go themselves or send a rep I would be up for helping out or getting involved

I'll get en email when it's gone through the approval process. I'll send out the linky then.

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Tribesman
    What a interesting thread.
    We should have easily accessible areas to practice the skills we aspire to.
    I know there are areas where people can go on a fairly regular basis, Ivan's meets on Dartmoor get lots of positive feedback. However these placed are not Countrywide by any means. There are suitable sites around the Country.(Forestry Commission land being a prime example) Would a club be able to open up such areas, whilst having a minimal impact on the surrounding countryside. As Ben points out the rabble issue would need some work.
    This may mean there will have to be some form of regulation. would people be happy to join suck a organisation?
    I have to say, the thought of being regulated doesn't appeal to me straight off. But if it means being able share areas where only like minded people frequent, that may be a price worth paying.
    Or is the spirit of freedom too sacred to allow rules and regulations to diminish it.
    Be interested in your thoughts
    I'm interested in your e-petition Steve, hope you keep us updated with the progress.

Tony
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins

Sounds like a great idea Steve, i will gladly sign up and get as many others as i can to sign.

Ben, i think that is a fantastic idea - i would love to travel the country with my boys meeting like minded folk. I also agree that idiots spoil things for us 'civilised' folk. The areas where i live are littered with ale and food cans, we end up bringing two carrier bags full of other people's rubbish home every time we go out. It would be lovely to go somewhere that is tidy, natural and respected by all.

Mc & Sons
    There's no brew without fire.

Hi Guys to be in some sort of organisation has it's downfalls and plus points it all has to be in perpective I think Most of us are aldults and most know how to behave and from what I have see of the young people on here they are keen to learn from us So it is a normal society thing we the old and bold help the young who wish to learn from us (In some cases the old ones can also learn from the young ones to I'm sure).

Recently up here in the lacal National Forestry land some idiots went out and put rope across paths which injured a bike rider. It was on the news and my first thought was if a few of us like minded had been bimbling around the woods as we do we could have 1. reported it 2. Stopped any injuries 3. took the rope down. Then I thought I was up at the same woods not long back to see if I could do some bush craft there as it is only a couple of miles away and they looked at me as if I had landed from another planet.

In the long run we could help the forestry commision (I would love to be able to go out now and again say a hello and can I do anything while I'm out) We could keep an eye out for rare species and stuff or do a minor amount of policing and observation for them (for free so no cost to any goverment or charity funds). We could teach a few young ones the skills that we know and pass on lost skills that are needed by socciety in todays world. To that we could run and control how any sites we have with appointed people in close contact to the agencies who could use us.

I think in the end it is a win win for all just a shame no one seems to understand us (Well if we all appeared on T.V. like our bessie buddies Ray and Bear) they would welcome us with open arms But we are not so we need to organise to be heard at the end of it all and just think if you could go around the whole of the UK stopping at a welcoming wood it would be great You never know maybe one day we could be World Wide meeting all our mates wherever in the world

Time for a brew now I think

great ideas guys - its about time we were heard and not just given sideways looks.
    [

An intriguing idea Steve, any chance you can post here the 'mission Statement' for us to see please?

Klause, I've camped in Dalby on an organised event with the forest rangers. They made it pretty clear that anyone found camping there without permission would be moved on regardless of time of day. As to whether you'd be found if tucked away in some quiet spot all I can say is a mate who was building up the miles carrying full kit while preparing for the Lyke Wake Walk there said that on one afternoon he was stopped four times by FC staff and reminded that camping wasn't allowed.

Al
    Last edited by Al21; 21-02-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling