Thread: Jute string

Jute string

Hi all, had read about jute string being a good fire tinder so found some in wilkinsons and purchased. Done the splitting down and fluffing it up, one spark and there it was burning like a good un.
    Love it, and will be adding it to my fire kit
    Anyone else ever used this?

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Yep,it's decent enough but I prefer more "natural" tinders found on the day, makes it more of a challenge...

I love jute as a tinder, works great (unless trying to light with a cig).....

Natural tinders are the best as always, however it's always nice to have a reliable back up and at that price who am I to knock it. I also carry more than one form of ignition
    Also I am fairly new to all this so I do lack the knowledge and experience of a lot of members.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Realearner View Post
    Natural tinders are the best as always, however it's always nice to have a reliable back up and at that price who am I to knock it. I also carry more than one form of ignition
    Also I am fairly new to all this so I do lack the knowledge and experience of a lot of members.
    I agree completely, always use natural tinders if you can,but if unavailable then always have a back up..remember 2 is 1 , 1 is none!

That tactical firearms training moto covers so many other areas, I love it! Words to live by, and also words to prep by....

Peasant
    Great backup especially if you soak it in paraffin wax first.

Alone in the Wilderness
    Yes I do prefer to use natural tinders where possible but jute twine is way up there for me in terms of 'other' tnders to use. In fact, being as the twine itself is obviously a form of cordage, and therefore multipurpose, its probably my preferred tinder over cotton balls and petroleum jelly, which I am sure some people will scoff at! lol! I always have a small tin of vaseline in my belt pouch to use with it, and its ready made for using as a wick as well. I love the stuff!

Jute string now added to my box-o-tricks thanks guys lol

Trapper
    Duly added to mine also.
    There are no strangers, just friends I have not met