Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little tarp setup tip video.

A little tarp setup tip video.

Hi all. I was looking at some videos in YouTube and I came across this chick (I wish my missus sees that video)
    She’s demonstrating a way to set your main line for your tarp using a bungee on one side (No necessarily like that) and a double line on the other end, but that cord is actually knotted together every so often, probably every inch. Well, have a look, I thought is quite clever.

I quite like her, lol.

what a bloddy good idear

Bit dodgy using a bungee at one end though I would have thought
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Exactly my though about the bungee. I see why she needs some elasticity on that line, but that hook in the eyelet like that, looks a tad unsecured and ruff on the tarp around the eyelet. I would use an elastic loop in between to pieces of paracord or whatever you want to use as a line. Maybe use a thick ring cut from an inner tube.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    I use bungees for tarps now and again,they're not that strong so there's no worry of them tearing the tarp, I like that idea, looks very easy,will give it a go

i always rate videos on a scale on 1-10 !

in this instance i'd give her 1

thought i'd get that one in before martin ....lol
    Last edited by bare grills; 21-01-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot , they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Quote Originally Posted by luresalive View Post
    I use bungees for tarps now and again,they're not that strong so there's no worry of them tearing the tarp, I like that idea, looks very easy,will give it a go
    I was thinking more if the bungee comes of and takes someones eye out or catches them wrong is all it happens But it was just an observation I use them to on some jobs but I always try and watch out for them to

Not sure I would rely entirely on the cord pinching the knot and it staying in place with the wind blowing on it. Probably use a slippery half hitch aswell. I use shockcord all round on my DD tarp now. It keeps the tension right without putting too much strain on the hoops and when pegged down it allows the tarp to give a little in the wind minimising the forces put on it. I also use the tarp 90deg out from most people i.e. I have what most folks use as the ridge running down the sides instead. This allows me to use a hoop in the centre of each side with some more shockcord to pull the sides out giving me more room between the tarp and the hammock much like some of the silnylon types available.

Quote Originally Posted by jus_young View Post
    Not sure I would rely entirely on the cord pinching the knot and it staying in place with the wind blowing on it. Probably use a slippery half hitch aswell. I use shockcord all round on my DD tarp now. It keeps the tension right without putting too much strain on the hoops and when pegged down it allows the tarp to give a little in the wind minimising the forces put on it. I also use the tarp 90deg out from most people i.e. I have what most folks use as the ridge running down the sides instead. This allows me to use a hoop in the centre of each side with some more shockcord to pull the sides out giving me more room between the tarp and the hammock much like some of the silnylon types available.
    Have you got some pictures?

Good idea with the knots (I think the constant tension would keep them "nipped-up".

I'm all for a bit of elasticity in these kinds of setups, as it tends provide a bit of give when the wind blows and returns the tension when it stops. My wild country voyager never had a loose peg in the last 19 years - which I think is thanks to the bungee rings on the flysheet pegging points. I made a point of fitting thick rubber bands to my tarp eyelets for this reason.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.