Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who Inspired You to Bushcraft/Survival

Who Inspired You to Bushcraft/Survival

When I was 15 I started at my Local Army Cadet Unit and one of the first things I completed was a survival weekend ! this is where I first really took any notice of the man that stood before me passing on his knowledge to us mere kids, I was fortunate enough to realise that you don't get to meet too many of these people in your life that can have such an impact on how you lead the rest of your life, I sat I listened to what he said and showed us, I did this for a few years in cadets, he saw I was very interested and when the opportunity arose he would encourage me to lead some of the skills we used to go through, as the years went on I had to leave as a cadet and become an adult instructor at this point I was lucky enough to be taken to Hereford and spend weekends at the SAS Survival school based down at Pontrilas think they call it PATA "Pontrilas Army Training Area" now.

Whenever we used to run survival weekends with cadets on the last day we used to get all the kids together and take them to this tree which was very rare to find ! with the fruiting body ! it was all done with a very serious face lol when the kids got near we told them the latin name "Glucose maximus" and to see their faces when they saw the tree with mars bars tied to it was classic.

Sadly he died in 1999 of a heart attack while at work, he had gone back to work at the SAS Base in the Dive cell, His funeral was like a state funeral the church was full at Belmont Abbey with people having to stand outside, it showed what a great guy he was that so many people wanted to pay their respects to him one last time, I consider myself lucky to have met him and will never forget him and the knowledge he gave me and encouragement to go on learning RIP Harry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harry.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	3446

My dad was a scout leader in Switzerland. When he moved to Cape Town and had a family of three boys I suppose it came naturally to him (and us) that he should show us how to use knives, axes and knots. Whilst not really bushcraft, it taught us a lot about some of the tools used.

Since then, there is a lot more I've learnt from people like Ash and Justin and others on YouTube. Videos can convey a great deal of knowledge, but sometimes it's necessary to get 1:1 direct help (imagine things like bow-drill fire lighting).

My uncle Dan, ex squadie in the signels and all round top fella he taught me alot and still dose.

and of cause Mr Mears!!!!!!

come to think of it they look quite alike weird!!!!

I just sort of got hooked I have always liked the outdoors and nature especially from my time in the Army @Rich when was your uncle Dan in the Signals I was in them for 17 years?
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

The ember was created when I was 13 years and 9 months old and joined the ACF. The ember was fanned, fuelled and burst into a real fire by more and more adventurous and exciting activites as I matured only to be prematurely extinguished whilst overseas.... however the extinguisher didnt know what he was doing and a little ember was left slowly glowing until it burst back into life last year.

The new fire has a good supply of fuel and shall continue to burn until Im turned into real ashes and spread to the 4 winds (either that or used to grit the path in the winter)
    Last edited by Silverback; 11-01-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    [

Me, Army Cadets when I was a kid, tramping round Europe with no money when I was 18-20 and national service in the SADF (not my blog) doing recce in Angola with bugger-all support and/or provisions. I've always been a 'bush-bum', but usually on the no-money end of things. Now in my 'post-adolescent' years (don't say a word Martin), It's a way of unloading all the usual work ethic and getting back to basic 'staying alive skills', which IMHO refreshes your soul. Also, I've always been interested in the outdoor life even though I 'fell' into a career path after being a mature student at uni that involves me either sitting in front of a computer all day, managing projects or attending meetings in office parks (as the Americans call them). Recently, I've tried to re-awaken my basic desire to get back to nature (along with a renewed interest in early anthropology). Oh, and RM - thanks Ray.

Over the past year or so, I've had a back operation due to a sailing accident - another passion of mine is boats - (where I was instructed to 'fend-off' a 36' yacht when a novice suddenly went into full throttle just at the crucial stage), and might need another one (I'm still contracting when I can) but, hopefully, I'll be fixed-up this year so I can concentrate on a couple of medium-term plans - a cabin in a nice bit of secluded Canada and a canal boat so I can roam the waterways (and stop-off in the countryside along the way). Wish me luck!

Steve

p.s. During basic, I was trained as a signaler like Ben Casey as well. We've both got f*cked backs - must be 'transmitter-karma'!
    Last edited by Fletching; 11-01-2012 at 12:26 AM.
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

I grew up on a farm with a lot of forerest to it, mostly spruce, but some oak.

Nature has been my playground since I could walk.
    Last edited by JEEP; 11-01-2012 at 08:20 AM.

Natural Born Bushcrafter luresalive's Avatar
    My father and grandfather,one taught me to fish, the other to forage and I have continued with both to this day.

Wanderer
    To be honest, I’m not sure. My Grandfather told me of his youthful adventures (including walking from Leek to London to sign up for the royal flying corp. when he was 15 or 16) he also showed me how to make/repair split cane rods for fishing.
    A kid my age with whom I went to school, was a wild camper of the old style and during the summer holidays the two of us would take a tarp, a frying pan, a couple of tins of sausage and beans and a couple of blankets and vanish into the local country side for a few days or a week. When I was 15 I was lucky enough to meet a chap from Australia, who taught me (for three weeks) that it is all in the mind, you can do almost anything if you are mentally prepared, from walking 25 miles in a single day, to camping with only what you carry in your pockets. It’s all down to your attitude. Ray Mears from his country file programmes, to his walking unsupported across half of Africa with this then ex-Girlfriend. And more recently people in this and other forums that support numpties like me in our endeavours to just get out and do it. You’re all inspiring, well most of you anyway

As a kid my father always took me camping and taught me how to 'improvise'. My interest is not exactly in bushcraft but more backpacking and being able to survive if the proverbial hit the fan. Oh and Authur Ransome played a big part in firing my interest in outdoor 'adventure', I read Swallows and Amazons when I was 9 and have been obsessed with the lake district, hill walking, boats, ADVENTURE ever since.