Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shelters destoryed ?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    There was a thread on BCUK a year or two ago about pitching camp in the most public places possible. If I remember, you had to pitch a tarp or some sort of shelter, have a brew, take a photo and get out without being arrested.

There were some pretty good efforts but it died a death for some reason. Now, the motorway roundabout does seem like a good spot although, as you say, access could be somewhat hairy.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

There's a lot of talk about building shelters, but what about using a small tent? It goes up (and down) in minutes and leaves no trace,
    as Martin was talking about. I don't pretend to know anything about the camping scene in Europe, but here the tent is #1.
    Thankfully we haven't got the vandalism problems or the need for 'stealth' camping; you can basically be all alone if you want to be.
    Good luck with all your adventures....

Jack

This tent is in a place called 'The Blacks' off the A628 Woodhead Pass. It had a note attached to it from the NP rangers. Obviously people can buy tents so cheaply now that they can afford to leave them behind.

Attachment 3407

Attachment 3406

In the summer months it is descended upon by people carrying slabs of beer and portable BBQ's. Some bag up their rubbish and leave it in situ in black bags, most leave it where it is..........
    Last edited by Silverback; 03-01-2012 at 02:39 PM.
    [

Shadowhound have you got transport? You could try what I used to do, although perhaps employment laws,Health and safety etc: might prevent it now. I used to go to local farms and offer to help out, without wages at their busy times, Haymaking, shifting bales etc: in exchange for rabbit/pidgeon shooting permission. I always had 2 or 3 places where I could shoot. Once they get used to you and know you're a worker and can trust you, life gets easier.
    It might work for bushcrafting permission too...but..never leave any sign that you've been there. Once the farmer sees that you're not some lazy doughnut littering his land/woods you should be welcome..

Hobo
    that is annoying that tents can be bought so cheap that they leave the tents behind, im all for camping with a tent but what i enjoy the most is building a shelter i can sleep in and then be proud of my acomplishment, also helps the skills

but a lot of you are right about when people leave left over fires, rubbish everywhere it just ruians it totally.

the small perm hut i built was destoryed by kids, but building that taught me a lot

finding somewhere no one goes is becomming harder each year due to people building roads i mean if you live in scotland or wales then land there is plentyful even natural shelters in wales are good

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by treefrog View Post
    There's a lot of talk about building shelters, but what about using a small tent? It goes up (and down) in minutes and leaves no trace,
    as Martin was talking about. I don't pretend to know anything about the camping scene in Europe, but here the tent is #1.
    Thankfully we haven't got the vandalism problems or the need for 'stealth' camping; you can basically be all alone if you want to be.
    Good luck with all your adventures....

Jack
    Jack, the tent is by far the No1 choice for camping in Europe too but what we're talking about here is the 'bushcraft' thing of making do with what you can find about you. Building a shelter is, I guess, one of the basic bushcraft skill, alongside fire lighting, water collection and foraging for food. The difference between bushcraft and survival is that in bushcraft you do this out of choice and in survival you do it to save your life. In the former, you should leave no trace so that you can do it again, in the latter I guess it matters not what trace you leave?

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyP View Post
    I don't want to sound like a snob or something, but I feel any shelters or camps on land that is not yours (esp if you are stealth camping), should be taken down when you leave the woods anyway. Leave only footprints and all that..
    Scatter leaves over the area you have trodden down, and where the fire was, and any nice lengths of wood that are useful can be hidden away off the ground, up in trees, so they can be used again and the camp area will not *invite* others to stay there.
    agree 100% jonnyp, leave no trace

I can't help but feel that some of the comments in this thread come across as a little harsh to the OP even if they are not intended that way.

The trouble with permanent shelters to me, is that, without permission you are seen by landowners as part of the problem. even with permission, your shelter will be seen by others as validation for them to do the same and down the slippery slope to the place becoming a party venue we go.

Leave no trace is definitely the way to go, where ever you are, and whatever you are doing.

Al