Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinel Knives

Opinel Knives

Well, I am interested in purchasing an Opinel #8. I have a few questions about the knives though; Is the carbon or the stainless steel version better, and how do you guys sharpen your Opinels. Thanks For The Help

Hey bud, I personally would vote for the carbon blade, I have always sharpened mine using a Japanese wetstone but there are many other methods, Opinels' are reasonably easy to get a keen edge on.

I would add that I no longer carry one because I discovered the Svord Peasant http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Svord-Knives/c-1-92-695/ and after a bit of work with some sandpaper and teak oil I ended up with an EDC that's hard to match.

Regards, Matt.
    It's not arson if it's your own stuff

Thanks for the reply. The Svord looks nice, but how easy is it to sharpen?

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar

Thumbs up Both Good Blades

Quote Originally Posted by Notredame11211 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The Svord looks nice, but how easy is it to sharpen?
    I would say it's easy to sharpen (much like an Opinel) it has a convex bevel to it's edge, so you can use something simple like wet'n'dry paper on a mouse-mat/board or work the very edge like Matt said with a wetstone. You could also use a ceramic-rod or the top of your car window etc.

If you don't abuse it, it won't take much maintaining; I strop mine regularly and barely ever need to sharpen it.
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

I own an opinel no.8 highly recommend it.

Easy to sharpen, fine wet and dry paper and a piece of roll mat or a mouse pad. Easy peasy.
    When in doubt Brew-Up!

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Well, I am interested in purchasing an Opinel #8. I have a few questions about the knives though; Is the carbon or the stainless steel version better, and how do you guys sharpen your Opinels. Thanks For The Help
    Just incase your interested I forced a patina on my Opinel No.8 and wrote an article about it here: http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/ki...ft-knives.html

How fine should the wet and dry paper be?

I've had an Opinel for years and it has cut great.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    How fine should the wet and dry paper be?
    Depends on how dull the edge is. To be honest, I've not used this method on my Opinel, I prefer to use a wet stone and get a great result.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

You don't really need to go much finer than 1000 grit on wet n dry. It'll put a serviceable working edge on the knife. I have over the years had a number of opinels and I rate them highly. They're simple and reasonably priced and aesthetically they're quite a pleasant knife to look at if you're into that kind of thing.