Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Making an Arrow

Hi thanks for the compliment

Anyway here are a couple of my pictures from last nights attempt I hope they are okay

Here is a selection of the feathers/fletchings I have bought The plan is to copy the samller ones onto a template so that I can make my own from the biiger ones.

Here is the taper tool I bought I wish I had used Mikes idea and just bought a pencil sharpener it would have been cheaper

I'm trying to show the feather in the fletching clamp from the base up it is not to good but I hope it gives an idea

Here I have the dowel in the fletching jig I have used ready made nocks but I'm going to start doing my own and just saw into the tip as it is better I think I just need to perfect the sawing as I keep going of middle and it looks naff

Here i have the feather in the clamp and on the arrow on the internet it had a tip about using elastic bands to help secure the fletching better but as you can see with the ready made nock it buckled so it wasnt to good and up till now I keep getting problems in this area

Here I'm showing the first one on I had this mad idea about trying to mark the dowel as a guide but I was a bit out

Here I have the rest on and it doesnt look to bad apart from being covered in glue all over my fingers

I did have another pic but it hasnt come out so I will take it again as it was from the top showing all the fletching and it looks pretty cool if I say so myself Anyway i hope yous enjoy
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Ben, Mike, those arrows look great! Keep the pics coming
    Alone in the African desert without a compass or a guide... However, by carefully noting the position of the sun, I could tell it was still daytime. --Neddie Seagoon

Thanks, is kinda fun and a distraction from knife work.

Ben, Gorilla glue is awesome for some things, not so great for others. I wouldn't recommend it for arrow making, I tried a few types and made a mess. But the fletch job I did the other night, plastic vanes on a dowel I used the Gorilla glue, dampened the dowel and made a mess getting the vanes on, and yesterday found they peel off nicely! Super glue is a better choice, but use the gel type instead of the runny type. The fletching glue I bought is an instant glue but it's thick.

Looking great guys. I have to say, those are the most complicated looking sticks I've seen so far
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

I also tried Gorilla glue for one arrow, and I agree, it came out pretty messy. I've had the best luck with liquid hide glue I got from 3Rivers Archery (I'm sure the same thing would be available at a regular hardware store).
    Alone in the African desert without a compass or a guide... However, by carefully noting the position of the sun, I could tell it was still daytime. --Neddie Seagoon

Ben, a few things from my experience with making your own nock slots:

1/ Make sure you are cutting your slot perpendicular to the grain run. Thought I had the grain direction sorted out and made my nock slot perpendicular to it, and when opening it up and testing on the serving of my string, wasn't wide enough and I got a split. If this arrow got shot without my knowing the grain, the string likely would have split the arrow before moving it at full speed, could have been a nasty dry fire.

2/ Use a thin saw to start your cut. I start with a mini hacksaw with really fine teeth to get a slight groove, then do the rest with a metal cutting jigsaw blade. Takes a bit of time to get it deep enough, but not that much.

3/ Sanding belts are a dream to widen the slot with!!! I was using a file and sandpaper, took forever and didn't work too well. Sanding belt (say 50x) is stiff enough to not bend as much as paper, plus you can shape it like this '(' or like this ')' to flatten out the slot, plus it cuts well enough to get the job done. A file loads with wood dust, sandpaper rips, the belt you just keep moving around to fresh stuff and it's a breeze!! Luckily I have dozens of them so it's easy for me to get. For you, doesn't matter what size you get, I use my 1" x 30" ones, which would be better for your use since you are only using the edge of it, pointless to buy a 3" x 18" belt only to use 1/4" of the edge.

4/ After I get the slot cut and the end bevelled a bit, I'll harden it with my lighter, then sand off the char.

Banned
    If you wanted really secure knocks then you can cut a slot with the grain but deeper than your planned knock, glue in a sliver of hardwood to fill slot and then turn the shaft 90 degrees and cut your finished slot across the original grain and the insert. It will be supported by the inserted wood.

Lot of extra work but good idea.

Banned
    It used to be a rule that one spent as long looking for a lost arrow as one had spent making it.

Cheers for all the tips guys it is like Mike says it sort of distracts you from the normal daily thing and it is relaxing Now I have my first one sort of finished and just need to keep on practising the nock slots as they annoyed me no end LOL Anyway I'm of to upload a couple of last pics then I will be planning my bow making

Opps and cheers to the guys for all the compliments
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses