Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Making an Arrow

Be careful about the dowels you choose, they should have straight grain, no >>>>>>>>>> anywhere, and roll them on the floor to find the straightest ones. Poplar is semi easy to straighten with your fingers, and shapes well. And it's kinda tough to choose which diameter due to your not having a bow, so no idea draw weight, therefore no idea on spine weight (read up lots on using dowel for arrows, lots of useful advice and warnings!!!!)

Cheers Mike I never thought about that I will have a look anyway and see what they have
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Just picked up a fletching jig, a dozen white feather vanes, two dozen blue, etc. Will grab some more dowel and make some arrows this weekend and post pics. Even if they end up not being strong enough for my bow, I still need lightweight arrows for my slingshots.

Sounds great my fingers are covered in glue at the min LOL I will put my pics up in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    Sounds great my fingers are covered in glue at the min LOL I will put my pics up in the morning
    Alone in the African desert without a compass or a guide... However, by carefully noting the position of the sun, I could tell it was still daytime. --Neddie Seagoon

Banned
    I nearly always use the Archery Centre. Worth reading the words of wisdom on the site as well.
    http://www.archery-centre.co.uk/
    His arrowshafts are not a bad price.
    Excellent book is The Archer's Craft by AE Hodgkin. History as well as practical advice but that first arrow looked good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    After making my first, so are mine!!! Fletching glue, hot arrow insert and nock glue, Gorilla Glue...... shouldn't have used my fingers to smooth out the hot glue!!!!! OUCH!!! Still sore!!! Oh well....

Anyways, here are a bunch of pics for you guys that aren't attached to my Facebook friend list. My first arrow, 5/16" dowel, will put it through my slingshot first, then gradual draw lengths with my 45lb PSE Kingfisher recurve to see how it does. Then I'll move onto the rest...

Last edited by CanadianMike; 21-01-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Slingshot testing at maybe <10ft....... where's the arrow?

So much for that choice of steel!!!

Thats really great and looks much better than mine im going to up load them soon to flickr then put them on here I was looking at Gorilla Glue is it any good as I have never used it before I just used super glue horrible stuff Anyway love the pics and the idea for your own steel point even if it did bend

Great thread