Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Making an Arrow

All depends on what you want them to look like, medieval, modern, target type, hunting type, etc. I'm gonna have a go myself come spring, make a couple dozen wood arrows for my bow, but also want to come up with some smaller diameter lighter arrows for my slingshot mods, they shoot my carbon arrows ok, but seems they are too heavy, I want something fast and light for that usage.

Just a heads up, stopped at the hardware store on the way back from work to pick up more high temp bricks to make another forge (the one I made last winter has done over two dozen blades, and is falling apart badly, even with the "fix" I did of wrapping it with chicken wire)........ anyways, had been meaning to check out the dowel they have there, found out it's poplar, 36" long, and comes in 5/16" ($1.29 each) and 3/8" ($1.49 each) diameters. So upon checking out various forums (search words poplar dowel arrow shafts), looks like I'm good to go with these, so I'll buy a half dozen or so (must check for grain and straightness) and start making some arrows after I order feathers and points. What I read, 5/16" is fine for spine weight up to about a 50lb draw bow, the 3/8" if for over that.

Just what I needed, something else to distract me from knifemaking this winter.

Sounds great mate I have been trying out making my own feathers but to be honest I think it is easier to get ready made so I'm going to buy a couple of different types and then copy them for templates But I have found a cutter to make them but it just seems to be getting more and more kit while I'm trying to stay sort of basic. I think I bought the wrong type of arrows as I got 11/32 I'm not sure what that equates to though but Im plodding on
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Halfway between 5/16" and 3/8", so should be used for bows between 45lbs and 60lbs I'd guess from what I read (What's your draw weight? Must be low since you made the bow, correct?). I have a 45lbs recurve, so 5/16" should be fine for me, but I'll be over protected when I try them. Makes me want to order feathers and tips right now actually. At least to start, then to find glue on broadheads to make more, no plans of hunting anytime soon, but you know the whole SHTF crowd and mentality, better to plan ahead and not need rather than dismiss it as bunk and find the need without supplies. I'll go for a dozen field tipped types, then maybe a dozen or two broadhead types later on.

Side note: Just made it to Tribal Elder status. Yay!
    Last edited by CanadianMike; 10-01-2012 at 12:58 AM.

My bow is still a piece of wood in my shed I started shaping it last year LOL But never got finished to be honest I think I will buy one to practice on and then hopefully in the spring and summer get on to making one. As that is what I really fancy doing is to make my own I suppose I just started on the arrows as I had a few of them laid around from last year when I went to the RV and made the survival bow

Alright Ben, just started making an arrow (too late to do knife work) out of a 5/16" poplar dowel, got the self nock cut and shaped, cut to length, rough sanded and a good wipe of polymerized tung oil sealer. Only took a pic of the nock end so far, need to wait for it to dry, etc. I'm going the experimental route, bought a dozen plastic vanes, will make this one and with no point (rounded I guess), will see if this diameter will work in my bow or splinter (trust me, welding gloves with skirt tucked under my sleeve, full face shield, etc. and various draw lengths before full draw......) Let you know how I make out, once I settle on a diameter (not a lot of choices for dowel, the two I mentioned, one will be too heavy, one might be ok.

Also, after watching one of Dave Canterbury's videos on how to make 'A Common Man's Broadhead', I got to thinking "Hmmmm, I make knives........ if I got thinner high carbon steel........ I could shape and harden, then sharpen, dual edge broadheads for some of the arrows I hope to make in the future to store for SHTF time if it ever occurs." Nutshell, I've been looking at buying glue on broadheads for wooden shafts, but why go the expensive route? Is like my buying a fixed blade hunting knife, makes no sense!!!!

Hi thats great I cant wait to see some pictures of how it comes out I'm just waiting for some feathers/fletchings to come through the post so I can try and make some templates And Im of to my local hardware store to look at dowel the problem here is they work in metres so I need to take one of my arrows with me to try and find one close to what I bought.

I think I have all the stuff I need now some I'm going to make one or two tonight I will try and get some pics and post them

In case you need some inspiration:

I'm still pretty new to arrow making - and archery for that matter - but it sure is a satisfying activity.
    Alone in the African desert without a compass or a guide... However, by carefully noting the position of the sun, I could tell it was still daytime. --Neddie Seagoon

Thats really cool I just a beginner so I need to get going as it really interests me I think it is very relaxing just sitting and making the Arrows and in the warmer weather Im looking forward to sitting out and making my own bow