Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Making an Arrow

Cheers again some cool stuff there
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Hi Guys I found this on the way and it seems to be quite good so I thought I would put it in here

http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/guide.htm

Update to my attemps :)

Hi guys I'm still having a play around with this and just waiting for my order for the Fletching machine to come through with somemore feathers Anyway I will put some pics on with what I have been doing so far I have an old attempt at an arrow that I have restarted after reading on the internet about ways of doing things. So I have gone for whats on the pics with a bit of a description when I get the Fletching machine through I will put some more on

I decided to try and heat the bodkin up and try and burn it on a bit it seems to work a lot better and I don't have to loose a lot on the shaving side I will be getting a Tapering tool later at the moment I'm not quite getting the bodkin on straight but that will come I'm sure

I got some gardening twine and split it down in to strands to wrap around the end of the arrow where the nock goes (It will save me buying nocks) I will be getting some beeswax to put on the twine I then secured it with Super glue for now it seems to do the trick and I will seal it with some clear PVA glue later

I used my vice to hold the arrow then cut a slit in it with a hacksaw making it a bit wider after carefully with a thicker saw (I used the attachment on my folding knife) Then I sanded the grove out with sandpaper

It looks a bit untidy but I carefully burnt it off a bit after I took the pic so it is a bit neater now

Excuse tha ashtray I smoke LOL

Ben

Lol, I noticed the ash tray and thought "Hey, he smokes!" Is ok, I do as well.

Am going to look into making some arrows using hardware store dowel (figure out the safest size to get), and order feathers and tips, etc. Trouble is, I won't be able to shoot until spring.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Lol, I noticed the ash tray and thought "Hey, he smokes!" Is ok, I do as well.

Am going to look into making some arrows using hardware store dowel (figure out the safest size to get), and order feathers and tips, etc. Trouble is, I won't be able to shoot until spring.
    I can't do much yet either as I havent got a bow LOL But thats next on my list I just started doing the arrows as I can do them in doors with very little on the tools side
    When I get the Fletching tool I will see if I can get the specks from it and post on here as it is simple to make from wood but I want to be sure that I get the angles right to pass on I'm going to make one to in the spring when I have my shed sorted.

I actually used to assemble my own arrows, so don't need any info, what I do need is to figure out what is a decent size dowel and type of wood to give me a reasonable 'spine weight' for my bow. In which case would involve my donning my faceshield and gloves and pressure testing dowel diameters to see if they can stand up to the 45lbs of my recurve. From there, I'll start making a pile of arrows. I love my carbon fiber arrows, but at ~$80 per dozen........

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    I actually used to assemble my own arrows, so don't need any info, what I do need is to figure out what is a decent size dowel and type of wood to give me a reasonable 'spine weight' for my bow. In which case would involve my donning my faceshield and gloves and pressure testing dowel diameters to see if they can stand up to the 45lbs of my recurve. From there, I'll start making a pile of arrows. I love my carbon fiber arrows, but at ~$80 per dozen........
    Put some pictures on will you Mike please?

Of what, my carbon arrows? Lol

Any work LOL or arrows ermmmmmm come on its the New Year LOL

Lol, I bought my arrows assembled except for the front inserts, so can't claim I made them. But it was over 20 years ago that I was gluing feathers onto aluminum shafts because I didn't like the plastic flights they came with. But will post pics later in the year as I make some, just for you honeybunch!

Here's my best grouping though...

......imagine if I went back to using sights again! :O