Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Making an Arrow

Shafts you have are spined for 55 and 60lb draw weight. So instead of choosing arrows for your bow's draw weight, you'll have to make your bow match your arrows! Lol

Sounds good mate I had a look online earlier and a company is selling a long bow for 71 pound so I might order it next week just to be able to go and play with the arrow I have made to see what it is like

Here is a link to the bow I dont know if it will be any good but it might get me through till I have made mine

http://www.centreshot.co.uk/shop/pro...roducts_id/722
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

You actually need one in the 55 to 60lb range, can't go over that because your arrows will be under spined and not fly right. Besides, how much have you shot a bow in your life? Asking because unless you have shot a fair bit and have developed the shoulder muscles to draw that heavy, you'll be in for a total shock! My last compound bow I had set up at 65lb draw weight, let off was about 45lbs or so, I found it easy to draw. But this bow I have now, the recurve, is 45lbs at 28", is a tough one to draw and hold.....

Ermmmmmmm I never thought about that I have only fired one about four or five times and two of them was at the RV last year I better rethink my idea LOL

But I think I will be ok we all have to start somewhere

True, but it's easier to learn on a tuned set up, and especially when dealing with wood arrows, you don't want to use a 55/60 wood arrow in your 71lb bow, the arrow could break and imbed itself through your hand or wrist. Isn't that far off for spine weight, but I saw a pic yesterday of the rear half of an arrow having gone through a person's hand, was pretty grisly!

Besides, remember the pic I posted above and the arrow I shot (5/16" shaft) that I found was under spined? See how far left it's gone? Have to see what it's like at longer ranges, but that early test shows it's too light for my bow. You want your arrows to end up square to the target as much as possible, not hit the target sideways.

Hi Ben, I think you might find this of interest: http://www.brixhamarchers.co.uk/web/...20Workshop.pdf

Mike. The bow Ben linked to is priced at £71 and available in three draw weights; 25, 30 and 40lbs.

Ben I think you might benefit from joining up to a field archery club near you if possible. They'll get you started in the right direction and help with matching you to draw weight and length for bow and arrows as both these determine the spine requirements of the arrows you use.

Al

Banned
    I agree that a 55-60lb bow will be a heavy pull until you are used to it but a 50lb should be alright. I won't be doing the bow workshop this year but hope to visit the RV for a day or day depending how I am getting on. If we can settle a day I could bring over my 70, 50 pounds and a light bow over for you to try out.

I don't worry about spine providing all arrows in a bunch are roughly the same, arrows of lighter spine won't shatter on the bow because its a heavier bow. Accuracy may be affected. I shoot the cheap practice arrows we use for our have a go archery from my 70lb with no problem although the 3/8th of an inch ones are more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Al21 View Post
    Hi Ben, I think you might find this of interest: http://www.brixhamarchers.co.uk/web/...20Workshop.pdf

Mike. The bow Ben linked to is priced at £71 and available in three draw weights; 25, 30 and 40lbs.

Ben I think you might benefit from joining up to a field archery club near you if possible. They'll get you started in the right direction and help with matching you to draw weight and length for bow and arrows as both these determine the spine requirements of the arrows you use.

Al
    DOH!!!! I guess I should have checked the link, eh? I saw "Longbow for 71........" and my brain didn't register it was the price, not the draw weight!!! Anyways, even 40lb draw will not work perfectly with 55/60 arrows. Better, less whipping, but still, am just trying to get him to match the bow he chooses with the arrows he made, kinda like matching the bullet type with the gun you want to shoot it through.

BTW, a heavy bow for an inexperienced user isn't a huge deal, here's a pic of my buddy Jean shooting my PSE Kingfisher bow, because he hadn't shot a bow since he was a little kid, he wasn't able to get it to full draw (he also has a bit shorter draw length than me), he was still able to get decent groupings on the target without sights.

His second round of shots at 25ft:

Last edited by CanadianMike; 22-01-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Hi Guys cheers for the tips and advice it just goes to show I dont really think about what I'm going to do first I have been trying all my life but still get carried away when I see something I like

@Edwin it would be great to meet up if your there for the day I can plan the day sround you so let me know what day and it will be great

@Al Thanks for that I wondered what the 25/30/40 was LOL I don't think there is many clubs around here I will have to google I think. To be honest there is not a lot around here

Quote Originally Posted by bencasey2001 View Post
    To be honest there is not a lot around here
    That's cause it be bleak ooop north
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel