Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Brew Kit for the Mrs

A Brew Kit for the Mrs

Thankfully, I'm lucky enough to have a very outdoorsy girlfriend who understands and supports my overriding need to make cups of tea outside. More often than not she's there with me, supping my brew. She mentioned to me a few weeks ago (as she was drinking my tea), that she might like a little brew kit of her own. So, being the lucky sausage that she is, and me wanting to drink my own tea occasionally... I pieced her one together from various bits and bobs I had laying around. I thought I'd share it here on the forum, just for funzies before I wrap it up in time for tomorrow. Don't worry though.. I've bought her some nice girly things too

Now I've finished, I quite like how small the whole setup is. It's fairly light too, at about 375g for the entire setup without water. The little vaseline tin meths burner boils a full cup in less than 5 minutes. The tin is about the size of a 50p piece. It's one of those little lip balm type jobbies, rather than a full size tin. The folding handle cup was from Go Outdoors a while ago. The foil bits are all cut from a disposable roasting tin. The cup stand is fashioned from a coat hanger and some wire. The two shotgun cartridge containers contain vaseline soaked cotton balls, matches, and little rubber strips. There's some larger patches of rubber from an inner tube in the tin, a mini firesteel, and a little multitool for handling hot bits of metal. The tin and multitool are kept inside an old memory card case I had kicking around. I figure she can keep some dry tinder or teabags in there too.

So there we are. Job done. Never let it be said that I'm a cheapskate at Christmas.

Have a good one guys!

Last edited by Apparition; 24-12-2011 at 09:06 PM.

nice kit there mate
    bacon on the fire

Proper dinky is that. Like it a lot. My missus says I have to carry two mugs and let's me make the brews.
    You lucky boy.

That looks the dogs whatsitssss..................nice bit of kit, keep em sweet and you should ave no trouble

Love the size of it all, like the little burner. How much meths does it take for a boil?

I like the cup particularly - nice neat folding handles. Nice neat folding brew kit too.
    If you stretch out both arms to represent all time on earth, then with one stroke of a nail file you could eradicate all human history, and 98 per cent of all human history was spent in the stone age.

Thanks chaps! Glad you like it. Hope the mrs appreciates all my hard work

Quote Originally Posted by Realearner View Post
    Love the size of it all, like the little burner. How much meths does it take for a boil?
    I've not really measured it. I fill it until I can see it start to pool just slightly above the level of the loft insulation that it's stuffed with. That's maybe around 25-30ml? It's certainly not much. Less than my trangia needs anyway. That amount of meths gives about a ten minute burn.

Nice little kit really dig the shotshell match case and cotton ball case cool stuff
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

I think I will make me one of those burners, it can go anywhere.
    Might even see if the meths stays in the tin ready primed.