Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bad Wolf - USA

The pelts will smell like a wet dog if they get drenched, they don't smell too much if they hardly get wet at all

NaturalBushcraft Founder Ashley Cawley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    .... I guess they'd make excellent hats and gloves but do they smell when wet?

Martin
    What you thinking Martin?... I bet you would love a garment that smelt of wet-dog hey?

Joking aside I bet some of those pelts are good stuff?
    Ashley Cawley

Youtube | Forum | Twitter | Flickr
    Leave No Trace

They are very useful indeed

In my region we have their smaller cousin the coyote, neat animal. Their numbers are higher now than before the whites came. The larger predators=mainly wolves-kept their numbers down and they were mainly found in the southern portion of the continant. Today they are coast to coast and even in Central Park NY. They have become less fearful of man unless they are country 'yotes. They still get shot by farmers on site. I have lost numerous animals to them and will shoot them if they hold still long enough. That is not their trait though. I almost always see them running. I admit they are wonderful creatures with great survival skills. There are more cases of attacks on humans in the last couple decades. Mainly children or women. I'd like to have a hat made of a pelt for winter. or an anorak with fur trimmed hood.
    I can walk out in my yard and see coyote scat any time of the year. Ironicaly I live on Coyote Trail-a meandering road out in the contry.

Interesting comments about Wolf smelling like wet dog etc.
    There are some major issues with Wolves in the eco system normally they dont create problems but certainly they are an issue for farmers. In this area the constant persecution of some local mountain lions by a wolf pack led to a mountain lion attacking killing and partially consuming a local skier.

Myself I dont like hunting or trapping wolves to me they are sacred creatures the name Mahikan I use on this website means Wolf in the Cree language.

The last time I skinned a wolf or Coyote was on my Trappers Cours here in Alberta, I can tell you they smell real bad and to be honest I would rather not eat one. The only carnivore I have eaten is Lynx and that tasted like wild Turkey.

Wolf fur is generally used for Mitts or Hats or the fur rim on a parka hood if treated properly when being tanned it will not smell like wet dog.

I spin the hair from my Husky into wool and have knitted hats from it, trust me it does not smell like wet dog when wet.

But a point to remember is that fur comes into its own in cold dry climates, when worn in the winter here it is hardly likely to come into contact with rain.

Interesting, I must be treating mine wrong while tanning them; A lot of the pelts that I have smell like wet dog after they get wet. Thanks for the info.

I will have to ask my wife to send you some tips on fur on tanning, in that area she is the expert. I tend to stick to the hair off brain/smoke tanning so no doubt if I ended up tanning a wolf hide fur on it would be pretty stinky.
    Maybe a letter to the 'Aberta Trapper Association' will get you some good hints and tips!

Just watched the u-tube film posted, I suppose I should have read it first before posting any reply, oh well!

Some Wolf facts for you all,

A wolf pack of about 7 or more will bring one Elk (or other large Ungulate) down per week for food. There are about 40 other species of animal that will benefit from eating at that kill site. When teaching tracking skills I always try and find a wolf kill site to show different track patterns. We have a very healthy Ungulate (deer, moose, Elk) population in this area that co exists with the Wolves and of course Bears and Mountain Lions.
    Wolves predate heavily on mice and other small rodents keeping their populations down which in turn benefits the Eco System as a whole. Extreme populations of mice also rabbits have been quite detrimental for forested areas as these small creatures feed on new plant shoots.
    Coyotes have reacted to pressure from Wolves in their territory by giving birth to as many as three litters a year.
    The Automobile is the main killer of Wolves in my area of Canada.
    Some areas of the USA are suffering from almost plague like proportions with their Deer populations ecause they dont have natural predators in the area to keep their numbers down.

Quote Originally Posted by Notredame11211 View Post
    It tastes very much like chicken, and yes I do keep the pelts after shooting them.
    Why does everything taste like chicken???

Quote Originally Posted by Comptona View Post
    Why does everything taste like chicken???
    One of the great mysteries of life.
    When in doubt Brew-Up!