Thread: My first real success

My first real success

I had ordered a 12 cm Zebra billy pot from Bens Backwoods and received it earlier this week, and wanted to give it a try. I had intentions of cooking a rice dish, black beans & rice with chorizo to be exact. Well this morning came around , looked in the pantry and... no rice, no beans and no chorizo

Then it will be oatmeal and coffee- no oatmeal, then coffee and crackers, crackers I have, let it be written- let it be said

I have this spot out in the woods where I try and practice "our" craft. I collect the tinder, kindling & fuel. Now you all must understand I am just getting the hang of this, so I will be using a lighter to start my fire. I am more about christening my billy then any thing else. Lighter is empty... hmm, I think to myself ...this is not beginning well.

I do have a "Light My Fire" fire starter, but have had no success, I find it too small for me, and can't generate the sparks I am looking for. Now push has come to shove. I think well... I will have to do it like the big boys do and scrap some bark into a powder and get my fire lit this way. I reach for my field knife (large Cascade from Blind Horse Knives), nope, left it at home ! I start scraping some birch bark into a fine powder using my beloved Alox Soldier (SAK). I put this powder and small scrapings into some T.P. I carry for... well you all have been there

I start striking the sparking rod and low and behove... I have a small fire. I gingerly start feeding it with more tinder which consists of birch bark, torn into small strips. I now start with kindling & shortly I am adding fuel. I am on the verge of breaking into song, I have done it

I had already built a crane with forked sticks and a crossbar along with a notched hook stick a few weeks ago so, all I had to do is watch the fire and build a good bed of coals.

I poured in 16 ozs of water and set it on the hook stick and secure it to the crossbar with some bailing wire I had carried. In under ten minutes I had a rolling boil for my coffee. I had read and seen enough vids about the plastic clips melting off, and my experience was no different.

So a hot cup of coffee and some crackers for me and my dog Molly was our fare for the morning. Simply sublime !

I kept thinking in the back of my head, "what if I was doing this for real" "what if my wife Mary Anne was depending on me? " I did not let any of these hurdles upset me, and I just soldiered on to complete my task at hand.

After today I am now going to try and do something every Sunday at my spot. Building on my experience until I have become proficient in "our" craft no matter the circumstances.

I know one thing, I had better get organized, a list would do me well.
    mind over matter...if you don't mind...it doesn't matter

You did it in the endAnd lernt sumthing by you'r mistkesyou'll have cracked it for next time.

Good write up sounds fun
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Thanks guys, it was really something for me at least.

hope you had a good time in the end
    bacon on the fire

Well done. Was the lighter made in Britain by any chance?
    Do you want to be happy or do you want to be normal?

Sounds like one of the lighters I bought the other day. Only lasted a couple of days, filled it back up and hasn't worked since. Worst 99p ever spent

Well done with the fire success buddy. Excellent little story too mate.

Adam
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Thanks guys Something "so simple" brings so much joy, this is new for me and I was really stoked.

BTW the lighter was more like one of the mini torches, really nice, but no good empty.

I am looking forward to this weekend, building on the success.