Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MMM Leather!

MMM Leather!

Hello there!:
    I'm after some advice about where I can get leather for sheaths. Anything you can throw at me would be appreciated. I need to know where to buy some, what sort you would reccomend ummm, maybe a something about dying or finishes?
    Hope this isn't too much to ask. But I don't have a clue.
    Cheers.
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    As ever Carl, Google truly is your friend. Try this for starters:

Leatherworking - A Basic Guide

Woodcraft Magazine Instructions

Hope it helps for starters.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin; 03-01-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Cheers for that!

Albert Einstein

You want thick leather, say 3mm-4mm. You'll find it stiff, but when working with it, it really helps to soak in warm water for 30 seconds, it greatly softens it up to the point the leather feels like thin rubber, makes it really easy to work with for folding, wet forming around a knife (you can form it around the handle so the knife clicks into place), and helps the dye to soak in evenly too.

Adjustable groover: Drag it along the edge of where you want to sew, it cuts a small thin groove parallel to the edge, sets the line to follow for sewing, but also lets the top of the stitches sit flush with the top of the leather surface, greatly reduces the risk of the threads becoming damaged from coming into contact with sharp objects, like rocks, etc.

Overstitch wheel: Lays out where the holes will be. I tend to use the 5 holes per inch mostly, but also have 6 and 7 hpi too. Can also use it after sewing to press the threads/lockstitches into the holes (hence the name of overstitch).

Awl: Use to punch your holes, also helps to open holes up bigger as you sew.

Edging tool: Use to cut a rounded edge on your leather, reduces fraying and looks cleaner when finished.

Avoid using the sewing awl, it makes messy stitches, best to go for a simple needle and thread. Use pliers to help get the needle through the holes, and use waxed thread (it locks with friction).

Dyes, water based seem to be the easiest to work with, you can mix colours together, say red and dark brown to get a lighter medium brown, and can also thin the dye with water. Really handy. Is what I did on this sheath Christmas day:
    Last edited by CanadianMike; 03-01-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Try "LePrevo" leather supplies based in Newcastle upon Tyne. They have a website - just google it.

The staff are very helpfull as well so if you are unsure about anything they sell or want general advice just give them a ring!

(No connection to the store - just a satisfied regular customer).
    If there are no women around and a man says something, is he still wrong?

Here's the picture trail of the sheath above that I made.

After cutting the dry leather to shape.

The wet leather shaped (used paper to make the pattern after tracing the knife, then cut the leather out), grooves cut, holes marked for sewing, etc.

Tried out some new stamping tools for a bit of an edge design.

First coat of dye applied and drying.

After sewing....

Second coat of dye rubbed in... you can see that I used the edging tool to round off the edges. Also used some gum on the side to reduce shredding, used my belt grinder to smooth out the edges, then more gum then dying everything.

And the final result as in my previous thread.

Gary as a starter try EBAY Item number140495294503, you get all you need except needle and glue.Use taperstree needles, No point on them and biger eye hole to thread wax thread through. Let us now how you get on......................All the best and happey new year.................TONY

Right! I think that's me sorted!!! Cheers.
    Lovely sheath there Mike. I like the look.

Albert Einstein

Thanks. Takes a lot of planning and mistakes (plan to avoid mistakes) but overall it doesn't take a lot to get to the point of making sheaths.

This was my very first attempt at making anything out of leather, made this back in August I think:

And the first knife sheath I made, you can see that after maybe about 10 sheaths I really improved with pure practice:

Hobo
    a good source for high quality, sturdy leather are mediaval markets. i got two pieces of 30 x 40cm 4mm thick leather in a light brown colour for 16 euro, which would be about 20 us dollars.
    I´m running free yeah, i´m running free...