Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping bag advice

Wanderer

Sleeping bag advice

I’m looking for advice
    I’ve been using a 58 pattern sleeping bag for the last 6 years, and after my experience on a recent outing I’m sure it is dead. As it is flat and does not keep me warm.
    So with a very limited budget I’m looking for a sleeping bag that is as good as a new maggot bag, one that will last as long and be as warm.
    I’m on the lardy side of big, and at six one not short, so need a long bag (I borrowed a standard arctic bag as a test and was unable to zip it up, or move once it was zipped for that matter)
    Any ideas?
    My budget is max £50. I’d love to have more to spend but I don’t.

(if this is in the wrong place, please tell me, and or move it thank you)

What sort of sleeping bag are you after??
    Mummy
    Hollow fibre
    Bivi bag?
    What sort of gsm rating are you looking at?

This thread is a good one, as im looking for a good sleepingbag as well, instead of using a bivi ;D

ATB,
    Will.
    Know more, carry less!

Wanderer
    I’m too fat for a Mummy bag, and anyway I move about too much in my sleep, I’m looking for a bag that will keep me warm in England from early March to December. So a four season bag. My old down bag has lasted for a long time so I don’t mind down or some kind of synthetic . Doesn’t have to be too light, as I’m strong enough to carry my old 58 pattern one plus the rest of my kit for half a dozen miles or so, and that weighed in at a couple of Kg.
    Gsm rating? Not got a clue, as each manufacturer seems to have a different idea as what is what.

I agree with womble. It's quite a complex issue sleeping bags.

I think your starting point (after price) is the size/weight. I've been using an ex-army sleeping bag for the last 6 years and have been toasty even in a hammock in winter.

There is a trade off tho, it is large and weighs 2kg. You can pick them up for around £30 plus p&p so it is well within your budget.

Ade

I use a Army Sleeping bag it may have the weight but saves all the hassle of the civvy ones I paid 60 quid for one and gave it away after one use. I cant walk very far with my kit nowadays but when I do I want to be warm at night and I nearly always get that with my Army one Have you tried the one they brought in after the 59? If memory serves me the 59 had the ground sheet fitted to sleep on and you could clip your poncho around it. The new ones maybe heavy but worth it in my opinion
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Tramp
    How big is 'lardy side of big'?

What about one of these?
    http://www.greatoutdoorsdirect.co.uk...400-dl-xl.aspx
    I've got a feeling the stated 900mm width is an external measurement, but they are definitely wider, and longer, than the average bag. Four season is probably a little optimistic too, but with a cheap fleece liner added, I think it may fit the bill.

Same bag a couple of quid cheaper here too.
    http://www.winfieldsmegastore.com/ge...astlerock.html

Alan

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VANGO-GALA...item4cfcb346b8 if you buy a fleece liner too this is a decent sleeping bag and a good size for you at 225 cm long and 110cm wide......if you need more warmth wear a softie jacket too.
    oh well try again

oh well try again

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    How big is 'lardy side of big'?

Same bag a couple of quid cheaper here too.
    http://www.winfieldsmegastore.com/ge...astlerock.html

Alan
    I don't live too far away from this shop and have had a good look at this particular bag. It certainly is long (the average cast member of Avatar would fill it well) but the build quality is really poor on the one I looked at. I don't doubt it's a good bag but not sure if it would withstand regular usage.

Ade

Wanderer
    I'm watching two on ebay an large army arctic sleeping bag (my wife uses the small size arctic and it's very warm) and a Vango 900m. which seems very good, but is a Mummy style. Has anyone used the Vango 900? or similar. Whats it like if you move about a lot in your sleep?

"big on the side of lardy" means I'm a heavy weight runner/cyclist ex-fit person gone to seed. 6'1 tall 50" chest 38" waist 42" beer belly.

Edit:
    I've plumpted for the army one, it's £20 and the seller seems on the up and up. I messaged him, and he came back within a day to say that the one I've gone for is wide enough and long enough for 6foot plus. I'll let you all know what it's like when I get it.
    Last edited by tadpole; 13-12-2011 at 11:36 AM.