Thread: Dutch arrows

Dutch arrows

anyone here use them?

theres a few different patterns,the most popular using just a string to launch it with,heres the model we used to make,its a cross between a dutch arow and an atlatl.

heres a vid of a chap making and using one with just the string:

http://www.viswiki.com/en/Swiss_arrow

thanks for looking.
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

Yep i've used them a fair bit, even pratted about with some at the world archery champs a few years back (that got some funny looks!)

I would suggest putting the string below the fletchings though, it's a bit more stable I tied a knot in the end of the string, wrapped it around the stick once and then around behind the knot so it held in place while under tension; whenever I tried putting it in the nock of the arrow it always jammed

Mostly I use just a string. When I was able to do a lot of archery I kept a bit of string in my quiver and praticed throwing around the field courses. I got more leverage with a bit of stick like in your picture but I never really took to it for control, I guess its a different style that needs persevering with to get the hang of.

They are great fun to make a play with if you've got a nice big field. I keep meaning to get out with my scout group and have a clout shoot with dutch arrows. Thanks for the reminder
    Last edited by dave budd; 06-12-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

We used to make these as kids and throw them around a field

Great fun but I'm not sure how accurate they are

We used to cut a groove in the shaft about 2/3 from the tip and have a piece of string with a knot in the end.

Lay the string across the groove around the shaft and over the knot to lock the string

Great fun
    Last edited by aman; 06-12-2010 at 04:27 PM.
    aman

i think that with practice they could be very accurate ,after all iys down to the user,i mean itd be like shooting a bow,first go or 2 youd be forgiven for thinking its a bit inacurate a tool!
    www.jacksshed.co.uk A country living forum to compliment your bushcraft way of life.

This is a pretty good site regarding Atlatl. The video's pretty funny too!
    http://www.atlatl.com/
    I remember my brother making something like these and he used cardboard for the fletching. I had no idea what it was at the time, just thought he could throw a long way! DOH!
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
    it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein

My friend used to make these it's nice to know what they are called.

My friend and I used to make these when we were younger, we found the design in a book called "The American Boy's Handibook." That book also taught me how to make a couple of spring pole snare traps and a figure four trap... Anyway, the book referred to the setup as a "whip bow." Ours were never very accurate, we never did more for fletching than tie a couple of split feathers to the shaft, and we were using cotton kite string, so it broke half the time, but we were dangerous to any large, leafy bushes around!

Now that I think about it a bit more, there was the design like above, similar in use to the Atlatl, and another that used a notch near the head of the arrow, and the throwing arm was springy wood with the knotted string attached. The left hand held the springy stick in front of the body, and the right hand gripped the arrow by the fletching, holding it near the right hip. When the arrow is released, the left hand provides added impetus by shooting forward and "whipping" the arrow toward the target. Not too accurate for us, but fun to play with.
    Last edited by jbrown14; 20-12-2010 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Memory was jogged...