Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: chopping wood for kindling

Hobo
    i didnīt use the technique myself, but i definately looks interesting...and seems to be also quite acurate!

Thanks for the vid, i'll try that.

Alone in the Wilderness caulkhead-bill's Avatar
    i use a full size meat cleaver excellent for producing a lot of kinderling in a short space of time due to its weight and balance ! the downside is it takes no prisoners !

Thumbs up Froe use

What an outstanding way to use the froe. I recently stayed at my friends mountain lodge where he has two open hearth fires to heat the place. He makes kindling once a week, I volunteered to help out with chores by chopping three buckets full of kindling with my axe.
    How much quicker it would have been with a froe and bike inner tube.
    Got to buy one!
    Thank you for posting the video.

Hmm yes, always knew I needed a froe really !

Richard

Thanks for sharing. That is a great vid.

I have a froe at the fireside thyat I use for courses, much safer for folk to use in the dark or after beer O'clock The trick with the string and a log is a very old one used by woodland folk for cutting the blanks for making such things as pegs and rake tines. It is much faster and less wasteful (you don't get all those odd splinters) than using an axe in my experience, partly because each thwack makes half a dozen or more pieces and partly because you then don't spend time picking the bits up

I often get folk using a beetle and an axe to split kindling, especially kids, but the more direct equivalent to the froe is an old meat cleaver or billhook (or any long bladed knife) on account of having a long blade to get the full width of the log.
    Dave Budd Handmade Tools knives, tools, wood, leather and courses making stuff! 2015 Course List NOW ONLINE!

Hobo
    One of my grandmothers always used a billhook for splitting kindling down, even in her later years and she lived to be 97! It was a double edged Elwell, I think a yorkshire pattern. Curved edge used mostly, with the straight back edge for knottier problems.

Dave