Thread: Made a sheath and spoon update

Made a sheath and spoon update

Well finally picked up my spoon knife today got to use it a bit really addicting using them found pretty easy to use to. Only thing wish they would include is a sheath well at any rate had some scrap denim so I sewed up a quickie while watching the tube. I modded it since I took the pic cut off the pieces I left to tie it with just didn't work all that well so now just use a piece of twine. Don't have to worry as much when I drop it in the fanny pack. Here is the birch spoon to that I am working on for my friend that gave me the knife

And finally a close up of the bowl so far and it is a bit deeper than this now. Thinking it may end up being a small ladle

“I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:
    " We do not go to the woods to rough it ; we go to
    smooth it — we get it rough enough in town. But
    let us live the simple, natural life in the woods, and

Cool work mate. Looks like you have picked up using the crook knife well. I keep thinking of buying one, but don't think I would use one enough to justify it.
    Jack of all trades-Master of none

Savage Bushcraft YouTube channel

Quote Originally Posted by crazysaint222 View Post
    Cool work mate. Looks like you have picked up using the crook knife well. I keep thinking of buying one, but don't think I would use one enough to justify it.
    I was lucky enough to get this as a gift I did find it rather easy to use never having done so before. Funny thing is you do get addicted to using it though if you do get one she does need to be sharpened pretty good at first found that out pretty quick. It's a fun tool to use for sure
    “I'm not one of those complicated, mixed-up cats. I'm not looking for the secret to life.... I just go on from day to day, taking what comes.” ~Frank Sinatra~

" Nessmuk " says:

I think I'll have to attempt making one lol.

Love to try that myself someday just don't have the means to do it right atm LOL

" Nessmuk " says:

If I find a simple-ish way, I'll let you know lol. I tried making one before, from a table knife. It was soft enough to just bend, but that meant it was soft enough to straighten haha.

I may give it a go over a friends house he does have a torch set up he uses for his soldering irons for copper flashing and such told me if I needed to I could come over and get something bent up from him just gotta hit the flea market this summer for some old files still really wanna do up my own custom knife to

" Nessmuk " says:

Sounds awesome mate. What sort of torch does he use? It needs to be able to get the entire blade (and about an inch of the handle) to 800ēc before the quench, to harden the steel again. With certain torches, this can be tricky, as you need to keep the tip of the flame moving, or it'll blast a hole in the steel. Some torches won't get hot enough to start with. Also, if you fancy a bit of black smithing, you can beat blades from cold chisels. They're made of high carbon steel too. Or old circular saw blades.

I'd have to get a picture of it from him but basically the thing is an iron piece that I guess is sorta like a mini forge he mainly like I said uses it to heat the hand soldering irons he uses but said he has bent up some metal with it. The thing sits atop a 20 pound propane tank. Kinda hard to describe if you never seen one before

" Nessmuk " says:

Sounds interesting. Will be cool to see your results with it.