Thread: Foraging Beechnuts

Foraging Beechnuts

Took a short vid some time ago when foraging for beechnuts. This year was a tremendously good year for them. Since they are slightly toxic you should roast/cook them before eating and although I collect quite a lot I only eat rather small portions (to go with something else).

In the video I mainly show how to take the skin away (2 methods). this is rather a lot of work but kinda relaxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDVbd_n4yAk

Your knots tutorial video is epic. I was so inspired by it, I took my kids for a picnic and taught them, then I wrote a phone app with step-by-step instructions. It's one of my few favourite videos.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just wanted to say thank you again!

Good Knot tutorial. The first knot is also known as a falconers knot and can be tied one handed as the other hand has a bird of prey sat on it.

well, thanks Bernie, for the nice comment. it is also my dad who tought me most of my knot knowledge as well. and i am very fond of these memories.

is it an iPhone app? if so, can i download it?

Hi SwissGearLabs

Begin grumbles
    It could be an iPhone app if I paid Apple for the joy of then waiting weeks for then to pick through the code and decide whether to allow me to offer it to users. I know that means Apple tends to have good apps in their market, but it's a painful and costly process I'm not willing to go through (especially as I don't have an iOS device). It's also not on the Android market due to Android requiring a paid-for developer licence. I have a fundamental issue with paying for something I'm giving away - I've already given my time and knowledge, why should I be out of pocket as well?
    End grumbles

I did offer a link on here for it before, so if anyone is interested, you can download it for Android, WebOS and Symbian from this page.

Sorry it's not more accessible for iPhone users.

If you just want to see how basic it is, download the ZIP file from this page, unzip it locally and open the index.html file in a browser. You might want to use a small window to view it more like it would appear on a mobile device.