Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 1st time camping out.

Quote Originally Posted by bushcraftboy View Post
    It's going to be cold, so I think a fire would be great to have, but I think your only allowed to make a fire at the shed/hut in Troserch.
    Shed/hut is the round house. And your right, that is the only place you can light a fire.

Trapper
    id check the legality of fires. if your after a stealth camp then you may have to think about a 'dakota fire pit ' rather than an open fire. somebody posted a how to guide on here last week some time and i had one of those bad boys going on the weekend. eeeasily enough heat from that if you sit close enough.

as for your knife, again, depends what your doing i suppose. IF you were to get stopped there obviously going to question your other gear. if its for cutting/ carving wood / striking a fire, and theres clear signs stating you cant light fires or cut foliage. then prepare for dressing down lol use your noodle and im sure you'll be fine.

This is the roundhouse. Easiest way I know to get to its is from the top car park, take the path through the gate down hill. You can't miss it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6808.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	2792

Banned
    Legal penknife, matches/lighter/firesteel for stove. What's to query or be questioned by any busybody? He is a free citizen, albeit a young one, and should have the right to go about his lawful business. We diminish our own freedoms by kow-towing to other people's erroneous perceptions of the law.

I see that restrictions on sales of knives etc does not apply to a legal penknife or razor blades enclosed in a plastic housing, according to a couple of County Council info sites for shopkeepers. Nor do any of them mention matches or lighters only lighter fuel. I do know that even penknives are now banned in schools and some other places. By definition, almost, carrying the full sleeping out kit will justify any one part of it.
    Last edited by Edwin; 08-11-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Banned
    Should mention that I have tried to confirm the apparent legality of sales of legal penknives and matches to young persons but can't find anything definitive so there must be a query over that bit.

Banned
    Or get one of these that the Government defines as a tool not a penknife.

http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/l...rs/victorinox/

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    It's all very well for barrack room lawyers to expound their theories about what is acceptable in a 'free society' but this is a young man who could live to regret the day he was found in public with an unlawful blade or point. The consequences of which could blight his career and freedom to travel for the rest of his life!!

This forum is not the place for unqualified strangers to give their opinions, thinly disguised as fact, which could be misconstrued as sound legal advice.

This young man has been on here asking advice on whether it is safe to eat certain funghi, whether it is safe to eat certain sea food, and now whether he would be ok to sleep in a privately owned woodland and to carry a knife and start a fire.

The only people who should be giving him advice on these matters are, in my opinion, his parents or legal guardians and the land owners. If he were to get into trouble either by eating the wrong thing or by falling foul of the law who on here is going to stand up in court and say that they are sorry for his death or his ignorance of the law?

The internet is a great source of information for research but you need to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff.

For those of us who are adults, we have to make our own decisions based on our understanding of the risks involved and our experience that comes with age. For children they need the advice of people they know, not strangers on the internet.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin; 08-11-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Banned
    The penknife would not be illegal, that is the basic point. If it ain't illegal in the UK then it is legal. That is a fact no matter what insulting remarks you make about Barrack room lawyers. But then perhaps you think we should all be afraid lest we might break the law and tiptoe around? What then of people discussing stealth camping on this forum? That could be construed as "conspiracy to trespass" which is a crime.

He asked for advice from strangers on the internet, if that is wrong then ban all under-age people from this forum whose main aim appears to be to give advice or do you love your role as advice giver too much to give that up?

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    The penknife would not be illegal, that is the basic point. If it ain't illegal in the UK then it is legal. That is a fact no matter what insulting remarks you make about Barrack room lawyers. But then perhaps you think we should all be afraid lest we might break the law and tiptoe around? What then of people discussing stealth camping on this forum? That could be construed as "conspiracy to trespass" which is a crime.

He asked for advice from strangers on the internet, if that is wrong then ban all under-age people from this forum whose main aim appears to be to give advice or do you love your role as advice giver too much to give that up?
    Fair play. You clearly know more about this young man and the Criminal Justice Act 1988 than I do. I withdraw all of my former comments. I'm sure he'll be just fine.

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

bushcraftboy
    Quote Originally Posted by GwersyllaCnau View Post
    This is the roundhouse. Easiest way I know to get to its is from the top car park, take the path through the gate down hill. You can't miss it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC6808.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	2792
    I go a different way. So I've never really seen it
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post

I think I might just not take a knife at all, although I've read loads of knife laws, and if I can remember it's ok to carry a edc <3.0" non locking blade, but I can't remember much.

I forgot to say thanks!, thanks.

Btw the only knife I have is a Mora Clipper 840MG, it's razor sharp thanks to my DC4! I'm not really sure when to camp yet, I think I'm going to go there more then camp.
    Last edited by bushcraftboy; 08-11-2011 at 01:23 PM.