Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Newbie Book(s) recommendation

Fishing Newbie Book(s) recommendation

Actually I am looking for two recommendations

Can anyone recommend a good introductory book on normal rod and reel type fishing the more basic the better as I have zero knowledge of fishing.
    Something that tells you how to not fall foul of the law would be a bonus.

Is there a "classic" survival type fishing book?
    And just quick disclaimer... I know survival type fishing e.g. handlines, traps and fixed lines would be illegal for the most part and I have no intention of going down to my local river and setting up a trap line or anything else illegal. There seems to be a lot of disparate bits of information in books and websites I was just wondering if the techniques were distilled into one source somewhere.

Moderator & Poshcrafter™ Martin's Avatar
    Firstly, I don't think that a hand line would be illegal, I really can't see why it should be.

Secondly, I can't recommend a book for beginners but I can strongly recommend that you go to your local tackle shop and tell them what you want to do. They will get you kitted out with the minimum you need at a very reasonable price. Once you have your basic kit, then you will start building it up over years.

One word of caution though. Don't forget that most fishing tackle is designed to catch the fisherman not the fish!!!

Martin
    Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.

Trapper
    Try this one out for bushcraft/survival fishing techniques. I've got a copy and it's fantastic.
    Indian Fishing

Not sure hand lines are legal for freshwater angling(sea fishing is fine)your rod licence(which you should have) is just that, a licence to fish with a rod and line.
    Best to check with the envirment agency on that one i think

One of the family bought a John Wilson book for me many years ago (excellent), don't know whether I still have it but there are loads of great tips for yer in it, have a look here for some vids.
    http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-T...-Fishing-Tips/

Quote Originally Posted by sam_acw View Post
    Try this one out for bushcraft/survival fishing techniques. I've got a copy and it's fantastic.
    Indian Fishing
    Thanks Sam will have a look at that one

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    One of the family bought a John Wilson book for me many years ago (excellent), don't know whether I still have it but there are loads of great tips for yer in it, have a look here for some vids.
    http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-T...-Fishing-Tips/
    Thanks Opal
    Will see if I can pick up one of his books

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Firstly, I don't think that a hand line would be illegal, I really can't see why it should be.

Secondly, I can't recommend a book for beginners but I can strongly recommend that you go to your local tackle shop and tell them what you want to do. They will get you kitted out with the minimum you need at a very reasonable price. Once you have your basic kit, then you will start building it up over years.

One word of caution though. Don't forget that most fishing tackle is designed to catch the fisherman not the fish!!!

Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    Not sure hand lines are legal for freshwater angling(sea fishing is fine)your rod licence(which you should have) is just that, a licence to fish with a rod and line.
    Best to check with the envirment agency on that one i think
    My admittedly recieved wisdom falls in line with Paul's reply. A lot of forums (and on here) have a dire warnings about using handlines for freshwater fishing.

This is the one, will teach you everything you need to know about coarse fishing, I've lent it out numerous occasions and always good reviews.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/John-Wilsons...321305&sr=1-34

Tribesman
    A Golden Oldie, but lots of good info.
    Falkus and Buller's Freshwater Fishing.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Falkus-Bulle.../dp/0091712807
    Nobody wins, unless everybody wins