Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New member from Scotland

Hi Al
    Am in Alba too,just outside Edinburgh... me an big stu(on here) are buildin our first canoe an all from ply wi plans found online. If your ever in the area a meet up would be cool, would not mind pickin your brains about your canoe a little,(i used to work in a fine art bronze foundry too so may be of use to you with yours) although ours is just the simple flat bottomed one. The workshop i run always has a warm welcome for fellow bushcrafter types, especially if you consider the outdoors as a habitat an not just a holiday.
    We also have our own propane forge if you ever fancy a shot.

Chris
    P.s Nice trailer, sure i've seen it or ones very similar.

Hi Al and welcome from me.

Steve
    Loud words. Spoken softly. Leave no Trace!

Hi There from me to cool pics
    CLAP clearly loudly, as an order, with pauses

Hobo
    Hi Guys, Thanks for your warm welcome and compliments.

@Chris, I don't know when I'll be next passing through on the East coast, but your welcome to ask me anything you like in the meantime.

A flat bottom canoe? Sounds like you are building a Pirogue. They can make very good canoes and stable, but it will pitch around in a chop. You will have a great time with it provided you keep an eye on the wind.

I have plans here for a cedar strip built canoe. It's an advanced canoe building project that I'm personally not ready for yet. You would be welcome to make a copy if you like. It's a 13' 'Rob Roy' from Bear Mountain

Tell me more about your workshop? Do you have a website? I have a home aluminium foundry so there is definitely an overlap of skills. Sounds interesting.

Cheers, Big Al.

my Blog: The Crapworks

Welcome Big Al,
    Your blog is ace.
    ATB
    Mandy

Hi Al.
    Yea i rekon your right with a Pirogue, its my first adventure into this type of thing, i got the plans here http://www.bateau2.com/free/ccanoeM.PDF, U hit the nail with my stability concerns, i was thinking of adding a small hydrodynamic keel to start with, and possibly adding an outrigger or 2 like a catamaran but have issues with mounting areas and stresses.
    I would love a look at your cedar strip canoe plans, but alas i think that it is well beyond my skill level atm but i'm always learning something new and would be a good goal to aim for in the future.

I build, service and customize motorcycles in the workshop including new builds, but have a few areas set aside for our own pursuits with my propane forge, belt sander etc.
    If you ever are in the area feel free to pop in. Dont have a website as i've found that spending time responding to mails from internet dreamers will be a bad use of my time. and theres only so much time i've got..lol. we're on facebook though... "Sai-ko Sai-klz". Contact details are there too.

My foundry time was with a company called Powderhall bronze, am sure their on the web, i worked in the pouring area and in the finishing shop, we did sand casting with co2 and silica activated hardening, plaster grog investment with lost wax and ceramic shell lost wax. i built the furnace and the burners, worked on the kiln a lot too so if u got a question then i would be happy to help if i can.

All the best Al

Chris

Hobo
    Thanks Mandy!

@Chris, I've seen those bateau plans before and out of the many I have seen, they look like the best of the free plans available for an entry level pirogue-canoe. I like how they show the build process in detail. Most free plans are just a set of cutting plans and the builder needs to figure it out on the fly. If I can make it over, I will bring the stripper plans with me. Thanks for the invitation. Maybe we could trade services? I could do some precision CNC cutting in foam for lost foam castings? (see this link)

The bateau plans are more or less spot on (IMHO) however, if I was building myself I would follow these minor mods:

* Part of the build process is the assembly and whilst your epoxy sets up, Bateau advises you close the joins together with duct tape. I would also use small cable ties. With just the duct tape alone you are relying on the strength of the glue to be stronger than the sprung force of the bent ply that will be trying to pull itself back out of a curve. The cable ties will make a mechanical stop to prevent that spring from pulling on the tape's glue. They can be cut flush with the surface when the internal joint has set up.

* I would add some form of buoyancy chambers fore and aft. You can see these on the photo of my canoe. Fill them with scrap styrene, plastic bottles and/or expanding urethane spray foam filler. They don't have to be very big, but without them your boat will be sunk, if it is flooded by the weight of any gear in it.

* As you have identified adding a keel will help with the tracking. Tracking is the tendency of flat bottom craft to wander and not travel in a straight line. I would actually add three rubbing strips. One up the centre and one each further out towards the sides. With three your canoe will sit flat on a beach. They don't need to be fancy or expensive. Roof tile baton will do (see photo below). They will help *a lot* with the tracking and provide a little extra resistance against rolling. Most importantly they will protect the bottom of your nice canoe from Scotland's rocky loch shores.

I should introduce you to my mate Davie. He's in South Queensferry and has moded his sea kayak extensively. He fabbed a sail and also a foot pedal rudder system and he makes very nice stuff. He would probably be able to advise on outriggers. He also shares my interest in bushcraft.

Cheers, Big Al.

Hey Al from me too that trailer rules btw
    Storms have a way of teaching what nothing else can.

ALWAYS Leave a Trace

Aye Al.
    I would have to agree with u mate, i'd rather not lose my boat and my kit to the bottom of a loch , that would be dire and my freediving really aint that good.
    The buoyancy chambers are a must then, and i will take your advise an add the rubbing strips also. I had seen a few builders that employed the cable ties/copper wire online with the stitch an glue method, an tbh, it makes sound sense, and also to have a chat wi u online(so to speak) has pretty much convinced me to use this method, it goes together this saturday(inside) and monday(outside), the panels are cut an butted an i'm choking on getting it done.... I'll need to put the pics up on the forum once its all done.

As for trade, as far as i see it, it's the best way to do business once the rent an bills are paid and is my preferred way of working.

Yea i really would not mind meeting yourself and Davie at all or any bushcraft types really, it would be pretty sweet to get a blether about boats and bushcraft over a brew, the net is so impersonal and it makes conversation hard as i never remember everything i'd like to ask or can share.

Its funny you saying about a sail though, i was thinking more about converting a strimmer into a outboard motor(being a bit of a petrolhead), kinda like u see in Asia so may be in need of a propellor..... how big is your crucible and sandbox???..lol.

But, Nice one mate an thanks for the concise reply.
    Dont hesitate to get in touch if u ever are down my way.

Cheers. Chris

P.s Nice blog

Hobo
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_lothian View Post
    ...the net is so impersonal and it makes conversation hard as i never remember everything i'd like to ask or can share.
    I'll PM you my contact details and we can arrange a meet. I would love to see your pirogue build.

Cheers, Big Al.