Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First stove?

bushcraftboy

First stove?

I've tried making stoves from naphtha/white spirit, but the naphtha/spirit has to be pressurised to work efficiently and burn hotter. And because it needs ALOT of oxygen to stay alight, and it has soot. Anyway what should my first bought stove be? Because I wouldn't mind buying a good one, or I'll can make a meths stove.

these are a good starting block:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swedish.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	2723

Nice and cheap too. Bottle for the meths and everything

Mike
    Bushcraft: The art of getting closer to nature while getting farther away from the nearest cold beer, hot shower and flush toilet.

bushcraftboy
    How long does a meths stove take to boil a litre of water?

I have one of these not used it much yet, takes 5-10 mins to boil depends how much water you want! i love it, its simple like me

Yeah takes about 8 mins, loads of time to sit and watch the world go round.
    The pot has a nice hook so that you can hang it off a branch etc

Mike
    Bushcraft: The art of getting closer to nature while getting farther away from the nearest cold beer, hot shower and flush toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by mazmann View Post
    these are a good starting block:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swedish.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	2723

Nice and cheap too. Bottle for the meths and everything

Mike
    I have one of these. After going down the gear geek route and buying expensive EASILY BROKEN stove that can nuke a litre of water in less that a minute. I decided I wanted something cheap and indestructable, the swiss army mess kit is that. Also I cook my food in the large tin, use it as my plate, boil my water in the small tin and use that as my mug. The mess tin also serves as storage for cutlery and food (I keep the meths and burner separate).

Trapper
    I use an old pan from a trangia with a whitebox stove. Honestly, I saw that on here and had to buy one. Trangia are aluminium and transfer the heat from the whitebox in no time at all. Very light and doesn't seem to use as much meths as a Trangia, but you can adjust the burn on a Trangia. But when I want a brew or a meal I want it ASAP and can't wait for ever. Unless I've opted for my honey stove instead, which I use when I'm in need of relaxation and taking my time. Its almost as quick when you've lit it but to my mind is a bit expensive.

bushcraftboy
    Are any of the solid fuel stoves good?

I have used hexi stoves alot, you do in my line of work, but I hate them. They stink, they are always difficult to light when you need them and are just plain messy.

For work, when I can, I have a jet-boil, great for doing boil in the bag meals and quick brews.

I have a selection of stoves including a trangia set, with a gas attachment. A coleman petrol stove, good but smelly and with the nickname of the bomb for obvious reasons.

The swedish one is the one I use in the woods, however i am making a hobo set tomorrow.

I will take a pic of them all tomorrow so you can see the range.

Mike

bushcraftboy
    Nice mate