Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Survival tins

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianMike View Post
    Aren't there apps for that? :P
    " I will give up my mobile when they prise my cold dead fingers from around it " Joking aside normally when out and about in my area I have more chance of having a conversation with Liverpool Coastguard station (50 miles away) on my VHF than I have my missus on my mobile (10 miles) - thats why my VHF radio is generally one bit of kit I always have to hand (one in car and one in rucksack -spare batteries too)
    [

Love all the comments, seems to have two different groups.
    But going to work in a factory or office I don't think a survival tin is much use.
    When out and about then some extra equipment could be useful, would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it
    A spare wheel is in my car I don't need it but it's there.

Tribal Elder
    belt pouch with first aid kit, multi tool, torch,fire steel and water pure tabs on same belt is always one of my knives and a para cord braid so i think or hope i get by,considering your never really far from a road in england also i have a belt waterbottle and steel mug!

Quote Originally Posted by paulthefish2009 View Post
    I do tend to agree with you Martin,99.9% of the time you would have little or no need for a survival tin,but there is no harm in having one tucked away . Most of us when out even just walking the dogs probaly have the makings of a survival tin about our person any way.
    I think i'd rarther have it than not. if the SHTF

Scouts: Be Prepared

I dont have one but would like to put one together to fit inside my kayak when out and about.
    "The mind is like a Parachute. It must be open to work"

Well I have just winterised my van, AND my rucksack so duvet jacket, wool mitts, extra food have gone into the sack (lots of batteries anyway given the nature of my other activities).

Van has doss bag and mat in it, shovel, grit and de icer (needed it this AM windscreen frozen over), Ice axes and crampons as well as kahtoola microspikes - added some bol in the bag food too.
    [

Alone in the Wilderness
    Hello people of Earth,
    Actually we have to speak about wilderness survival tin because you have to have it allways in your pocket. In fact I carry in my jacket RAC Wind-up torch and Mora of Sweden 2000 in the left pocket and a big "Golden Virginia" tobacco tin with the most important survival tools in the right pocket. When I go in the bushes I wear just small cheap backpack which weight is just 300 grams or 7.1 kg including 1 litre of water in a half litre "Thermos" and half litre of water in aluminium canteen bottle, folding shovel, folding saw, 17'' machete, Metal Mug, First Aid Kit, Emergency bivvi bag, 20 litres camping shower, Duct tape, Fishing/snare Kit, plus few differnt quality hats depending the weather. But I'm trained ex-soldier of the bulgarian army and I have the habits to be prepared at all costs. What about a 500 grams box with priceless gadgets: unused magnesium stick 12000 strikes, stainless steel mirror, activated coal pills x 20 for poisoning and diarrhoea, pills about alergic reactions X 20, Ibuprofen 400 x 20, paracetamol x 20, a pack of Potassium permanganate (many important uses), mini fishing and snare kit, big needle and strong thread, and other small artefacts like plastic tube to drink water from ground or holes. Good collection isn't it? I expect all kinds of answers. Let's speak about "a comprehensive list of items in a wilderness survival tin" - this will be the most visited forum in the whole world!

Radoslav, Bulgaria

i have a credit card instead
    oh well try again

If we change its name to 'possibles pouch' rather than 'survival tin' does it make it any more 'acceptable' ?
    [

i call it an EDC ....
    i have the contents for but not the maxpedition edc pouch . once the january credit card bill is paid i will order one and have my EDC with me almost all the time ..

modeled on this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juB1pdB72x0 . not only for survival (heaven forbid the worst did ever happen) but useful in the event of an accident at work , in the car or out walking but a few bits and bobs to help out with say a car breakdown etc etc etc ..

survival ? ( probably not ) but handy and will almost certainly get me or others out of a scrape at some point !!!
    Never argue with an idiot , they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

The Survival tin back in the day was one of the things you put together as part of your learning, what do i need how do i use it etc etc everybodys was different.

When i did my 4 star leadership course back in 1991 we were all checked prior to the survival section of the course, people were to display their tins, mine was as near to loftys as I could get it with money and resources available others had theirs full of fags loose change or mars bars etc. The idea was we could have been out for weeks rather than then two days we were SO IT WAS BETTER TO HAVE THE TIN than not have the tin for the room it takes up on your person, so I don't see why people would dismiss the idea of needing one, its a tried and tested piece of kit that can be put together fairly cheaply these days.

I guess some people think of the survival tin as a Rambo accessory ! I think its a great bit of kit to have along with a possibles pouch in the car also with some rations

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Survival Tin .jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	3450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	two tins .jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	3451

Mine is the one on the left, Ive just bought my lad the Lofty tin, up to him to fill it.

Contents include methods of making fire, flint & magnesium, "found while out walking 20yrs ago" matches, lifeboat matches , magnifying lense, candle to get fire going then remove again, compass, fishing kit, sewing kit, snares, wire saw "found in a tree 20yrs ago", potassium permanganate,large sail needle, small knife, safety pins, pencil, tin opener, condom, plasters, puritabs, scalpels. then place in a old ipk bag with para cord around that.

Basha
    Last edited by Basha72; 11-01-2012 at 06:26 PM.